Google Chrome crashed, will not restore or reopen

Discussion in 'Software' started by KJW, Sep 6, 2015.

1. KJW

KJW Private E-2

I have this:

ERROR SIGNATURE:

Event Type: BEX
    P1: chrome.exe
    P2: 45.0.2454.85
    P3: 55df88lb
    P4: guard.dll
    P5: 8.2.0.4674
    P6: 55c148a3
    P7: 000269c9
    P8: c0000409
    P9: 00000000

I have no other functional browser, am STILL using XP and read
    somewhere, which I cannot find now, this may be COMODO related.
    But I was lost in the technical lingo and I lost the reference, in
    frustration trying to make sense of technical jargon.

Please help, if possible and if there is a doable fix of which someone
    is aware, PLEASE lay it out very simply and straight forward.

Thank you,

KJW

Lost with no browser and an otherwise working internet connection

2. Earthling

Earthling Interplanetary Geek

For a whole stack of reasons you really need to get off XP just as soon as possible. In the meantime you can try using a different browser, or an older version of a different browser. Have a read HERE.

3. KJW

KJW Private E-2

I understand about moving on from XP. I have no browser to download a different one or an older version.
    That is why I am seeing to fix this issue. It was simply inexcusable to have had only one functional browser, but that's the story. I am not the brightest bulb in the room.

4. Earthling

So is Internet Explorer not working either? If not your comp has serious problems. You may need to get a friend or colleague to help download another browser.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

If you can't find Internet Explorer 8 in XP, get someone to download it for you
    Code:
    http://filehippo.com/download_internet_explorer_xp/

6. KJW

KJW Private E-2

I was able to get a Firefox Set up via a Flash Drive. It worked upon completing installation. However, that leaves unresolved what issue/s is/are causing Chrome not to open and my PC not to be able to do a System Restore to an earlier date, which, I think would have gotten around this? And what is going on with the ancient Internet Explorer that I can't remember last time I used?

At least I have internet access. I ran numerous spyware programs, all of which came back clear, in case there was son other thing going on.

This is all puzzling.

KJW

7. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

One option is to completely uninstall Google Chrome (use IObit Uninstaller) and then re-install it.
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/iobit_uninstaller.html

With Windows XP you'll be stuck with Internet Explorer 8. IE 9,10,11 wont even install.

Unfortunately, because Microsoft stopped support for Windows XP, you will not get much support from software publishers. Afterall, it's pointless publishing programs for an unsupported OS, and then providing support for those programs.

8. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm helping someone at another forum using Windows 7 and Chrome refuses to run. (The only place I have chrome is on my Android tablet and that doesn't help with a Windows problem).

My advice to that person was to completely remove chrome and install a new version to see if that fixes the problem.

9. KJW

KJW Private E-2

My problems returned upon rebooting this morning when I attempted to open Chrome and the same, I thought former issue, returned.

My attempted solution was to do an Iobit uninstall of the Comodo Firewall, which I did, but now nothing can access the internet, not SpyBot, nor SUPERAntiSpyware...which preciously could, when the browser could not. My security center says that the Comodo Firewall is working...AFTER every trace I could see of it is gone?

I am lost.

KJW

10. KJW

KJW Private E-2

As I was trolling my brain for solutions and fiddling with CCleaner I recalled that it had an uninstall feature. Earlier, I had visited the XP, "Set Program Access and Defaults" only to find that it contained a reference to COMODO FIREWALL but the "Change/Remove" tabs were gone. This had been after I had done the IOBIT powerful uninstall and could no longer find a trace of the COMODO program, even searching for it.

I engaged the CCleaner uninstall mode and, puzzlingly, when it told me to close CCleaner(while using it....nonsense) I pressed the "Ignore" tab and it went to work. After it did its thing it asked if I wanted to restart to complete the process, which I did. When the reboot was completed, I found I was able to use both Chrome and Firefox. When I looked in CCleaner unistall mode, for COMODO, it was gone, as it was also gone from XP's " Set Program Access and Defaults". Also, the Security Center showed that only the WINDOWS firewall remained. COMODO was gone.

I am going to make a restore point now, then do a restart, and pray that things come back fully functional from the reboot.

Then, I am going to enjoy 20, very cold, sparkling ounces of COKE LIFE, whether it works or not!

KJW

PS

After the reboot, both CHROME and FIREFOX are working, as are programs like SpyBot and SUPERAntiSpyware.

Success......I PRAY AND HOPE.

Now, for the COKE LIFE and a grass fed old style burger!

11. Earthling

Running two software firewalls simultaneously is a recipe for problems, as is running two AVs. Looks like that may have been your problem, rather than Comodo per se.

12. KJW

KJW Private E-2

I should have been more careful in my writing. I ran only the COMODO FIREWALL. The WINDOWS FIREWALL was only turned on after the COMODO FIREWALL was uninstalled.

KJW

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds