Google Chrome has stopped working

Discussion in 'Software' started by hcrawfor, Sep 1, 2015.

1. hcrawfor

hcrawfor Private First Class

Error Message - Google Chrome has stopped working

Windows 7 Home Premium w/4GB memory

Other browsers (IE & Comodo Dragon) work fine, and so did Chrome for a few years until this week. In fact, Chrome was my default browser. Here's what I have done:

1) Ran SUPER AntiSpyware
    2) Ran Malwarebytes
    3) Uninstalled Google Chrome
    4) Ran SlimCleaner & Defrag
    5) ReBooted
    6) Download and installed Google Chrome

No better results. Chrome will still not start. Any ideas. Thanks

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Try a different browser profile. On Windows, open %LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\ in Windows Explorer and rename the Default profile to Defaultbackup after you exit the web browser.

Run Chrome again. The browser creates a new user profile which you can use for tests to see if it resolves the issue you are experiencing. If it does, your user profile may be corrupt or you may use a browser extension or plugin version that is causing the issue.

3. yodel99

yodel99 Private E-2

Hi, I'm quite a novice, but as MG has helped me a great deal, I'd like to try and give back. also running win7, chrome and getting same stopped working messages... i'm following the MG malware rules, as such using comodo fw. Found a note on another forum directing to add a folder to comodo HIPS settings, detect shellcode injections [exclusions]... added c:\program files x86\Google....and now working! Hope this helps. Cheers, Yodel99

4. hcrawfor

Thanks.... but unfortunately, renaming the default profile had no effect, and I can't even open.

5. plodr

Just to be clear, you renamed the default profile, opened chrome and it created a new profilw which also did not work.

If that is the case, uninstall chrome completely. Reboot.

Download the latest version and use that.

6. hcrawfor

Same problem with new install.

Steps I took.

1) Uninstalled Chrome
    2) Re-booted
    3) Downloaded & installed latest version of Chrome and set as default browser
    4) Tried to open Chrome, and received same error
    5) Renamed Default a third time
    6) Re-booted
    7) Tried to open Chrome and received same error

Just to note: IE, Firefox and Comodo Dragon all work

7. plodr

It might be on Google's end.
    It seems that I am reading quite a few posts yesterday and today that say, "chrome doesn't work".

8. hcrawfor

Issued resolved... except I can't explain how.

I run Comodo Internet Security Pro on all my systems. After an automatic update this afternoon, Google Chrome is back working. Their browser, Comodo Dragon (based on Chrome), has been working throughout this whole ordeal.

Thanks

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds