Google Chrome problems with bookmarks and more

Discussion in 'Software' started by lebowl, Jan 12, 2013.

1. lebowl

lebowl Private E-2

1. When I go to the bookmarks manager and try to drag and drop a bookmark I often get the message "Google Chrome Not Responding". Chrome never responds and I have to close the page.

2. I've also been getting "Google Chrome Not Responding" quite frequently in other situations(can't recall exactly what). The only thinkg I can do seems to be to close the page and the program(like in #1).

3. When I click on a bookmark in the bookmarks menu sometimes it opens properly but sometimes the location appears at the bottom of the page and the screen turns light blue. In order to ope the page I have to click the link at the bottom of the page. The desktop appears, hen I click again and the page I was trying to go to finally appears.

4. I am very frequently getting "Display Driver stopped working and has recovered". The screen goes black for a second and then recovers but this can happen several or many times per hour.

Thanks for your help. I hope I posted these on the correct forum.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi and yes correct forum area

I would check if you have a newer display/graphics driver available for your PC (do also tell us that PC make and model you have if DELL, HP etc or if a custom build what motherboard make and model you have)?

What is your Windows version (check << there) and is it fully up to date?

If you uninstall Chrome and re-install it do you get the same issues?
    What security software do you have installed?
    Does Internet Explorer work?

If you boot into safe mode (F8 at boot and choose safe mode with networking) does that work with chrome?

3. usafveteran

usafveteran MajorGeek

Exactly what are you trying to do? Drag from where and drop where?

4. lebowl

lebowl Private E-2

Since I seemed to have raised multiple issues in my first post perhaps we can first deal with this issue of "Display driver has stopped working and recovered."

Unfortunately, I can only answer some of your questions. I do not know if I have a newer display graphics driver available for my PC? Is there an easy way to find out?

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 1501 and is 5-6 years old.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

This is the drivers page for an Inspiron 1501
    http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/inspiron-1501

Only 1 optional video driver and the date on that is Oct. 30, 2007.

Open device manager
    1. Right click My Computer and select Properties
    2. Click on the Hardware tab then the Device Manager button
    Look to see if there are any yellow !'s or red X's

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    You failed to mention in your original post that Dell wiped your computer two weeks ago!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds