Google Found My Website Using An Incorrect Link?

Discussion in 'Software' started by bbsan, Sep 9, 2005.

1. bbsan

bbsan Private E-2

When I GOOGLE my website, I get many hits, most of which I understand.

However, one hit is titled <u>LATEST NEWS</u>. When I click on the link, it opens my homepage. That is NOT the title of my homepage, nor is it any keyword in the meta tag. LATEST NEWS does not appear anywhere on my homepage. It is, however, a file listed elsewhere on the website. When I open the FILE/LATEST NEWS, I am directed to the correct LN page.

So, my question is, what criteria does Google use to seek/find? How is it connecting the title LATEST NEWS with my homepage?

I'm using IE, haven't tried on NN.

Thank you

2. scouse

scouse Corporal

You say you do have a page on your site called "local news"? if so Google will still cache index regardless of just seeking words you have in your meta tags if i am thinking straight..

Meta tags are there just to give your site a better chance of google indexing your pages, although the more meta tags you place the better, at the same time google will still index regardless of tags just much slower.

3. bbsan

bbsan Private E-2

Yes, I have a file, elsewhere on the site titled LATEST NEWS. When I open it I see "Here's the latest news today blah blah blah" which is correct.

Now, I'm wondering how Google uses the title LATEST NEWS to open my home page which is very different than the above file. Different graphics, etc. Especially when it's never done it before. Nor is google caching any other pages....weird.

thanks!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds