GoogleEarth doesn't recognize DirectX is installed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Steve83, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Steve83

Steve83 Private E-2

I'm still in the process of reinstalling my OS (XPP-SP3) on this old box after a crash, and yesterday I installed GE directly from Google. Immediately prior, I had checked WinUpdate and gotten 0s. But when I tried to run GE, it said DX wasn't installed. So I installed it directly from MS, and rechecked WU - still 0s. But when I try to start GE, it still says DX isn't installed. Trying DX again tells me that a current or later version is already installed, and it quits. DX doesn't show in Add/Remove Programs (even in CC's version), and reading the FEW old threads about DX makes me think there's no uninstalling DX to retry from scratch, so... :confused

I tried switching GE to OpenGL-mode (which made it agonizingly slow, full of errors, and unusable) and then back to DX-mode, and it still won't work. Would R&Ring GE make it recognize DX?

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Start/run and type in dxdiag then click OK (it might ask if it can connect somewhere; say Yes)
    Eventually you will get the DirectX diagnostic program.
    Maybe the More Help tab can help you troubleshoot the problem.

3. Steve83

Steve83 Private E-2

It took a while to figure out their BBS setup, but I just found this:
    http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/earth/problems-and-errors/bjGnfKIW2ho

Looks like THIS ONE might not be MY fault! ;)

But I'll still try dxdiag... Thanks!
    No faults found; all the video tests passed; I don't have speakers connected to this system, so I skipped all the sound tests. That thread suggests that it's a widespread GE7 problem for XP, so I'll just use an older version.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013
  4. Steve83

Steve83 Private E-2

It's working! For whatever reason, "Show atmosphere" was checked by default, so initially, all I saw was a white ball with outlines. While zooming in, I could see the surface just for a moment, then it went to pale blue instead of white. I changed some navigation settings (reverse mouse zoom) and it went black. Then I unchecked atmosphere, and the surface imagery appeared. It goes white in the flight simulator, so there's still something not quite right, but at least it works.
    Narrowed it down a little: whenever the view shows the horizon, all imagery disappears.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2013

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds