Got 24 GBs of ram PC only says 16GB usable.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by frankzro, Aug 6, 2011.

1. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Now, here is what is going on exactly. Also know that my OS isnt an issue and my RAM sticks DO work, but they will not function as 24GBs RAM with their respective settings meaning I can't run 1600mhz and get 24GBs of ram. The Mobo ( G1.Sniper) makes me run my RAM ( Special Edition Arctic White Vengeance Low Profile memory) 1333mhz with 24GB RAM available. This is lame considering I shelled out 100 dolla for x3 Dual Channel Kits 8Gb a piece .

Question 1:

Can x3 sets of Dual channel be converted to Triple channel memory on the Mobo?

Question 2:

Should I just return the memory and get my money back so I can purchase the correct modules?

- I have read all over on Google that people even experience this issue with the Hexa Modules meant for Triple Channel Ram, board only sees 16GBs @ 1600mhz, and 24GB @ 1333 mhz... -_- See link ---> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145350

By the way I am using an i7 970.

I was told my ram would work for 64GBs, but for what I paid for it I feel ripped off.

2. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

WOW thats a lot of ram:eek

You do not say which OS you are running but if it is Windows 7 X 64 home premium you are only able to use 16GB.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

4. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Damn, I do have Windows 7 64 Bit Home... Just my luck.
    Funny story is that I purchased my copy on Ebay way back BUT I was really purchasing Pro and the idiot posted a Pro Copy and when it came in the mailt it was FREAKING Home edition!! >_<. Ended up in a text battle with him and he wouldnt take back the item... it was major :). Ended up getting the Home copy for 70$ brand new and he returned the rest of my money.

So, I have another issue... The computer keeps saying "Detecting DRAM..." right after post to get to windows -_-. The worst part about this is it does it when I try to boot from a CD and it is consistent. I am trying to Wipe and reload my old OS, but it wont even let me have access to the freaking CD because when It gets pass the post and almost to load it restarts the PC shortly after that message. Believe me I have seen it too on other forums.

Anyways, will an upgrade to PRO do a thing for me? Im trying to get this thing running :)

EDIT: I have tried EVERY type of BIOS setting known to man! >_< Tried messing with the Voltage, tried setting the RAM manually to their speeds ... got no where but still @ 16 GB and 1600Mhz instead of the 24GB and 1600 speed. I know for a fact that its not slots 5 and 6 even though they do not activate... everything I have is brand new, I even got into the old windows partition and played a game off it ( For fun and testing :p )

But no one answered my question, I was told I can use my three sets of Dual DDR3 8GB and the board will pick it up as DDR3 Triple Channel - Is this true ?

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  5. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

I posted ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ UP

6. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news :cry

There is an old saying "Caveat emptor" which is very apt in todays electronic market, it means "buyer beware", i have also learned hard lessons on Ebay :-o

If you intend to load your old OS have you tried booting the PC then putting in the OS disk and opening it from "computer" just open computer and the disk should appear then double click to open it and you should have at the bottom of the list "install" so it should run from there.

7. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Nice, I wasn't thinking about it, but its not as easy as it would appear to be :p.

EVen getting that OS to boot is a pain because I will get that " Detecting DRAM Size..." Message and PC will do this around 4-5 times in a row until it wants to love me :).

So what about that Theory? Should my Modules behave as if it was Tripple Channel? They are ALL identical :)

8. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

It could be a compatibility problem can you download speccy

http://majorgeeks.com/Speccy_d6358.html

Run it and post the results and we can look at the hardware you have.

This is mine.

EDIT you could take out 8GB of ram and see if it boots normally.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 6, 2011
  9. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Alright I will put 8gbs in and get back to you, I have to goto work so it will take time to get back to you.

10. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

No problem it's evening over here so i will see you tomorrow.

Bill

11. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Frank, you could try reducing the amount of memory available to Windows via MSConfig's Boot > Advanced options. Set it to 16GB (or fractionally less) when you have all 24GB fitted.

Attached Files:

12. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Thank you guys, but I decided to go ahead and just get rid of the ram sticks and exchange them for a traditional set of some Triple Channel DDR 3 Ram ( Patriot Viper II Sector 7) reason for the new ram was solely because I have a limited selection due to the ... Lame evil HUGE space taking Noctua -_- 14D btw.

Also used some of the extra money left over to pick up an own copy of Win 7 Pro 64-bit.

Plus a corsair solid-state drive sata III 60gb and some seagate sata3 1TB drive, lets see if this will change the game!

I'll keep you guys posted!

13. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Holy crap man!:eek What are you OC'ing that needs that sucker?

14. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Getting rid of the damned Noctua ONCE AND FOR ALL!! >_< The thing is so annoying to own because it is restricting the type of RAM i can purchase!

Im going to RMA the Noctua and my freaking Mobo...

here is why.

Ended up purchasing two pairs of DDR 3 Triple Channel RAM "Patriot Viper II Sector 7's" = 24GB.

Well here is what drew the final straw!

Me and another employee confirmed that the Patriots would fit under the stupid Noctua because on Noctua's site they are confirmed for height -_-.

WELL NOCTUA YOU FAIL! :)

The ram sticks did not fit -____-, so I went to remove the Noctua from my CPU. Once removed to my surprise to I see freaking thermal grease EVERYWHERE!!! >_< ( FML)...

Long story short do not EVER let your "know-it-all" friends apply the thermal compound to your 500+ dollar components... ever.

So yeah I removed the Noctua and the paste was all over plus it was a pain to remove the Noctua.

So after noticing that there is a bunch of compound I then attempt to remove the CPU because the CPU ( i970) IS FILLED with compound ( Uhhg!) so I removed the CPU to clean the top and the stuff starts to drip in to the FREAKING MOBO CPU VALLEYS!!! ( Yes!!! ) on top of that I noticed that the pins for the CPU house are bent -_- and have compound in them.

I managed to clean the CPU off nicely and it should still be working but the G1.Sniper is no longer usable after less than 15hrs of owning the board :cry

The Good news!

Getting rid of the Noctua and ordered a Corsair Hydro Series H100 from amazon.

Other good news on top of this turd sandwich, I purchased a 1 year warranty which covers Accidental Damage but I just got the board so... I have no idea what the hell is going to happen. The third party warranty people say the Warranty starts after the warranty from the manufacture.

So I am not sure what hell I am going to run into but these damned people better replace my Mobo... it has literally only been 24 hours of owning it.

Think they will just replace it ? All that money down the drain sucks -_-

So Refund for the Noctua

and Trying to get a replacement mobo (G1.Sniper) :(

15. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Think New Egg will find it in their hearts to send me a replacment G1.Sniper?

16. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I don't even let people borrow my tools, as people tend to not treat things they borrow with too much respect. You would have to kill me in order to touch ANYTHING inside my computer.

I hate to say it, but as the motherboard isn't defective, and the issue is pretty much your fault, I highly doubt you can get a replacement. You should probably get the person that doused it with thermal paste to pay for a replacement motherboard, and let him keep the fudged one as a reminder.

17. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

Seeing how I am receiving LOW expectations.... I am Ordering another G1.Sniper!

Now my plan is to put NewEgg in a JAM so they see that I really want the item and just give me a refund for the new one and call it an RMA. Hopefully this works because I tossed it on a credit card just in case.

Your move newegg -_- ... your move.

18. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Im with mscmc, you or someone under your direction broke it, why should newegg eat the replacement cost, and raise my bill the next time i order an item. By stating your putting it on a credit card, that just makes me think you plan on commiting fraud, or trying to get the item for free, even tho you know replacement cost should be on you. Good luck in your defrauding of newegg tho!

19. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

?...

Only evil people think like that... There an extended Warranty on my product which states under its warranty that it covers ADH = Accidental Damage, but that extended warranty isn't valid for 3 YEARS!( Due to gigabytes warranty, which makes my situation a technicality) Because the product can't be used... at least I think it can't because I never tested it at all when I pulled the CPU off and all that happened I didn't tell Newegg that that is what went down, I only gave them the simple version of it. But I told them the truth for the most part.

20. augiedoggie

Gawd man, what did he use? Toothpaste? I've never seen compound drip, the stuff is just too thick for that to happen!:confused You're going to like the H100 especially if Corsair put in quieter fans. I have the H50 on my OC'd 930 machine running at %100 load 24/7 for the last 2 years.:cool

21. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

This could be a problem with getting a replacement or refund as Newegg will use it as a reason to say it is not their fault the product is not fit for purpose.

I am impressed with the parts you have bought for this rig but am at a loss to see why you got sooooo much ram as unless you are working on a Nasa project you will never need it all.

I have an Asus Rampage II Extreme mobo with an I7 950 and 12GB ram that has never even blinked in over a year and a half of very hard use running serious graphics and 100% CPU;
    The reason i chose Asus is their track record and have to admit i know only what i have read about the G1 sniper, as for cooling i have a Coolmaster V8 and normally it does the job but is not good enough if you intend OCing (that's Augies department)

I hope you have some success with Newegg.

Attached Files:

22. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

My entire build morphed... because of these monster heatsinks. Had to get a better case ( TT level 10). Shoulda done more research on CPU coolers ~ Would have avoided all the pain above. Wonder what an h100 will lolok like in a TT Level 10 Ill take pictures and post it, seeing how there seems to be no such thing on the net. oh yeab Xigma thermal compound was used... good thing it wasnt AS5

23. augiedoggie

Good gawd man!:eek I hope you didn't spring for the $800 model. Beautiful cases though.:drool

24. frankzro

frankzro Corporal

I meant the baby TT Level 10 GT :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds