gPart-ache!

Discussion in 'Software' started by jf38081, Jun 10, 2009.

1. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

Hiya from Texas.

I'm helping someone with a partition and we have run aground in choppy waters.

The computer is a Sony Vaio XP Home desktop. For some reason Sony sells these things with the hard drive partitioned. Its a 160 Gb hard drive, but has been partitioned into a 15 Gb c: and the rest of the drive is partitioned into a D: Why would Sony do such a thing? Rhetorical question... nevermind.

The original problem I set out to solve is that the C: is full and they can't install their new printer. Of course if the C: is full they are going to have other problems too eventually.

I ran across this problem once before, and was able to resize the partitions using gParted no problem. Just made the C: bigger and the D: smaller. No biggie.

This time, not so. gParted shrunk the D:, but I still can't grow the C:!?? So now there is like 100 Gb not even allocated and the C: is still full.

Now gParted is not letting me undo my changes to the D: or grow the C: (the sizing option is greyed out)

I was able to get my hands on an older copy of Partition Magic 8.0 but it says error 114 and will not load.

Any other thoughts? Really good partitioning programs? I really didn't want to have to reinstall windows!

Jim

I have backed up, so its not the end of the world, but I would prefer not to have to reinstall everything to free up that C: and conquer the 100 Gb that has gone feral on us.

2. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Hello.

What I may suggest is have you tried expanding the drive using the Disk Management in Vista? Also, Have you tried other versions of Partition Magic?

I have also used gParted in the past, really good tool. But never used it much in Win Environments.

Thanks,

3. greasemonkey

greasemonkey Private First Class

4. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

to Elder_Usr
    Kind of hard using a Vista feature on an XP machine.
    Have heard of some having success somehow by using a Linux disk.

5. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Haha! Sorry about that. And yeah, you may be able to use a live distro, such as Knoppix or even Ubuntu to possibly make those changes needed.

Thanks,

6. jf38081

jf38081 Private E-2

Sigh... I have to fess up. I have figured it out and I owe an apology to gParted. This was a BCK error (..you know Between Chair and Keyboard..) gParted was working perfectly. Sorry gParted!

The partition diagram for the D: had a light green box within the dark green box. Evidently all I had done was shrink the light green box (an internal NTFS partition) but overlooked the external dark green box (an EXT partition.)

Thats the reason the C: could not be made bigger - the EXT partition was still the size of the old D:. I just shrunk the EXT partition as well, and the button to increase the C: was no longer greyed out and everything worked out perfectly. Oops silly me =-|

Anyway hopefully this little resolution will help someone else down the road; and thanks to everyone who tried to help.

Thanks,
    Jim

PS Elder_Usr: Great signature (..too bad I had to live up to it.. lol wheres my patch!..)

7. Elder_Usr

Elder_Usr Sergeant

Hey jf38081,

Well glad you got a resolution. :) and I don't know if they make one for Problem's between chairs and keyboards. If they do let me know, I'll definitely be sharing that around :p

8. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Excellent. Glad you got that cleared up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds