GPU only supporting 2 displays

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Abramstank, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Abramstank

Abramstank Private E-2

So current setup is that I have 2 monitors hooked up to my GTX 260 video card.

The GTX video supports:

2 DMI ports
    1 S-video port

I am currently using 1 monitor with a DMI cable and the other monitor is using a DMI to VGA adapter with a VGA cable.

The problem:

I recently went and purchased the necessary items to hook up my TV. However the problem doesn't seem to be the computer not detecting the TV, it seems to be that my GPU only supports 2 displays at once.

[​IMG]

That picture was from the Nvidia control panel which allows me configure the dual setup.

I'm looking for a way to get past the 2 display max.

2. hegemon875

hegemon875 Private First Class

Ive never heard of a DMI port do you mean DVI? Its not possible to have more than two displays attached to any nvidia card the s-video will just replace the second dvi port.

3. Abramstank

Abramstank Private E-2

Sorry I did mean DVI.

So what exactly would I need then to be able to hook up 3 displays?

Keep in mind I currently have:

1 DVI cable for 1 monitor
    1 VGA cable hooked up to a VGA to DVI adapter for 1 monitor
    1 s-video cable for TV

Extra cables I have laying around:
    RCA composite video cable
    VGA Cable

Possible Solutions:
    Something that gives me a VGA port.
    Something that gives me a S-video port.
    Something that gives me a DVI port.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131232

That would be my motherboard if you need to know any additional ports/expansions I would have.

4. hegemon875

hegemon875 Private First Class

You could buy a second graphics card for the third monitor or buy a maxtor triple monitor graphics card. While the maxtor solution would be the easiest (and if you have no other slots left for another card the ONLY solution) it will have a lower resolution limit than having two cards. Im assuming you want to have your desktop span across all three monitors right?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds