Graphic card PCI express slot or AGP????Is upgrade required!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by caskin, May 6, 2009.

1. caskin

caskin Private E-2

:confused
    My PC is a 2yr old HP Compaq presario sr2019UK..OS Win XP Media.
    Graphics card Nvidia 6150LE.
    Dxdiag info attached.
    Recently I purchased my first game :
    after install game would not play and dll error message was displayed.

retailers Focus Multimedia who were very helpful,after studying my machine profile stated my present Graphics card was not suitable for gaming.

They said I would require an upgrade,which would either be a PCI-Express slot card or a AGP graphics card,none of which makes any sense to me??

For over two hours I attempted to contact hP support to solve this issue without success !!

My knowledge of graphic cards is almost Nil,so support advice on obtaining,fitting,drivers etc,would all be greatly appreciated.

Can the Forum advise what type of graphics card I have fitted?(PCI-Express slot or AGP Graphics??)
    Do I require an upgrade as retailer advises?
    What card would the Forum recommend?,remembering that I am not a gamer and would be quite happy with a middle of the road ,reliable graphics card that could do the job?

Attached Files:

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

Hello,
    If your computer is the same as the newest version, then you should have a PCI-E slot for graphics upgrades.

3. caskin

caskin Private E-2

Thanks for reply,you say IF,is there any way I can confirm that,plus are you able to answer any other further topics in my thread?

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

why don't u run a hardware report from everest, and attach it:
    http://majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

it appears that this is your motherboard:
    http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...8&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&lang=en&product=3264373#
    and it says
    therefore you should be able to get an updated graphics card. But there are a few things to watch out for, like the wattage of the power supply, and some of the newer cards are quite large. you will need to make sure you have enough room to fit it in there. As far as wattage, the spec page doesn't say what power supply is currently in there. You will need to know more about that.

5. Tweek-it

Tweek-it Private E-2

Hello,
    I use an ATI Radeon Graphics Card by AMD ......I will include the link to the site I used. All the information on how to use , install, and drivers is there and easy to follow...There is a link to evaluate your PC ( after a user agreement) for a Graphics card.....even showed me how to install the card and I had never been inside my tower before. I did do a great deal of reading before install but it was very easy and works outstanding for me. Hope this helps!

Here is a link to AMD...The Graphics card page...

http://game.amd.com/us-en/gpu_compare.aspx

6. caskin

caskin Private E-2

It never fails to amaze me how you guys do it,I spent ages inputting my model make and number etc at HP support and although I discovered what mother card I had I could not access specification,so many thanks for confirmation,plus the link to Everest ,again something i had never come across,but that is what makes this Forum so unique.

7. caskin

caskin Private E-2

Thanks Tweek it I will progress along that path and get some further info such as wattage etc as other member suggested,I appreciate your help,have agreat day

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds