Graphic card pick

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Break_Da, Sep 18, 2010.

1. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

I am considering a new(er) video card for my pc. The motherboard I am working with is an Asus M2N68 PLUS. 400w PS. amd +2 quad core, 2.3ghz(?). pc6400 ddr2 2gb. sata x4. pcie x16. etc. it's a new machine, being placed together not completely up and running.

I was wondering with the video set if a card is worth the time?
    I have some cards and already have a 'fav' also:

Diamond AIWHD3650 All-in-Wonder 3650 Video Card - 512MB GDDR2, PCI Express x16 2.0, Dual Link DVI, HDMI, F-Type Coax Input, HDTV Tuner (Item Number: D10-3658 from Tigerdirect.com)

Asus ASU-EN8400GS/S/P/512 GeForce 8400 GS Video Card - 512MB GDDR2, PCI Express , DVI, VGA, HDTV (Item Number: A455-8402 from Tigerdirect.com)

ATI 100-505508 FireGL V7600 Video Card - 512MB GDDR4, PCI Express, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, Stereo, Workstation (Item Number: A177-7600 from Tigerdirect.com)

I have an Asus 19" wide screen vga and a Samsung SlimFit HDTV I would like to have as a possible output to the pc and video card. I know the Samsung SlimFit TV has HDMI possibilities. I like the card with video capturing (Diamond All-in-wonder) also having the most output choices.

i am not looking to spend fortune, but do want a few 'extras' packed in... hit it up, tell me what ya think, what ya know, what is recommended... thanks in advance

robert

2. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Well, those cards are very different (priced from $25 all the way up to $190) so it is really hard to compare, especially since you failed to tell us the primary purpose of this computer. If I had to choose, I would pick the V7600 because today's computing environment is highly graphics oriented so the more capable the graphics solution, the better the over all system performance. But it requires, as a minimum, a 450W PSU. Note that 400W is considered on the small size, regardless of the card used so if you are stuck with a 400W supply, you MUST ensure it will support any card you select. If you have not purchased a PSU yet, wait until you have selected all the other components.

I note you only have 2Gb of RAM selected. While that is adequate, with a dual-channel motherboard, I recommend 4Gb.

I also note you don't have an operating system listed. Note you cannot use an "OEM" or "upgrade" license from an older machine on a new computer.

3. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

I liked to use the HDMI output from my tv, also, recording tv onto the pc looked ideal too, pc/dvr unit
    2GB for now due to the bundle kit purchase, the 400W PS came with the kit as well.
    I am looking to use a simple Win XP Home for now, with Win7 64 in the future maybe (not sold on the idea yet though)

4. Digerati

"Fom" your TV? What do you mean by "from"? It is most likely your HDMI ports on your TV are inputs.

Most bundles allow you to upgrade so I would still consider more RAM. And note that often, generic PSUs are "tossed in" to make the sale. The foundation for a good computer is quality power. If that PSU is a no name or off brand, you consider tossing it out! The problem with "bundles" is they often contain components the retailers wants to unload because they were not good sellers.

"Simple XP home"? Don't know what that means. Win7 has proven to be much simpler to setup, network and use. Plus, XP was designed over 10 years ago to support DOS era hardware and when security was barely a concern as about the only way to get infected was by booting to an infected floppy left in the floppy drive.

Win7, on the other hand, was designed to support today's hardware with today's security threats paramount in priorities.

5. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

PS is a Diablo Dual Fan, model number can be gotten if you want to look closer at it. I am using Windows XP Home currently, with SP3.

6. Digerati

I recommend PSUs from the "Good" column of PC Mechanic's PSU Reference List. Diablo is not mentioned which suggests it is not a well known brand. So I would not trust it to support additional hardware.

7. Break_Da

Break_Da Sergeant

Thanks for the link.

If we can get to the other subject first brought out, the video card? Do you have any links on these or other brands like for the PSU? Other words on vid cards?

8. Digerati

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds