Graphic driver updated, but version still same?..

Discussion in 'Software' started by Coreano, Jul 5, 2012.

1. Coreano

Coreano Private E-2

I just downloaded ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M Series new version from cnet.download.com because mines old version.. and yes I downloaded the same driver, just newer version FYI..

I installed it twice but when I go device manager, the version is still old one.. It didn't ask me to restart and I haven't restarted PC yet. Currently I'm downloading lots of stuffs so I don't really want to restart.

This is actually my first time upgrading graphic driver so if anyone's familiar with this, please help.

Regards

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Restart is usually required on older cards. Don't trust Cnet driver list, go to the developer site or even here.

3. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , you must use this tool

http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html

running it in normal mode
    restart your machine
    follow this process even in safe mode
    restart you machine

afterwards you could install the new driver :wave

4. DragonMaster Jay

DragonMaster Jay Private E-2

Driver Sweeper is good.

I find for ATI cards to be a little sensitive, so I go right to the official site to find the download: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

It was near impossible for me to find the latest version of my graphics driver, but through the AMD/ATI GpuDownload Utility, it found and installed the most updated version.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

This appears to be a laptop, with some brands and types, you're better to go to the maker for drivers, especially graphics. If you state make/model#, we're better equipped to dig deeper.

The longer a card/chipset has been out of production, the less likely it is that any new driver will add anything for an older model.

6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

HI

What is the make and model of your computer?
    What Windows version and Service Pack?
    Are you having issues with graphics or not? (if not having issues then no need to update driver at all)

I do have some drivers for a 300M based Compaq/HP here saved as I used to have one I gave away to reletive, so can upload the driver if needed.

7. Coreano

Coreano Private E-2

sorry I was busy, I really haven't responded nor read this thread.
    I just researched and ATI is taken over by AMD, does that mean ATI graphic drivers no longer updatable?
    Anyway I will try some of suggestions you guys provided.. I be back.

8. Coreano

Coreano Private E-2

Win XP. Home Edition Service Pack 3
    I'm not having any issue, just want to boost performance little bit for my computer game experience.

I don't know if 300M will work with Express 200M, but if it does, I am interested.

9. Coreano

Coreano Private E-2

the thing is there's not even same video card model available on internet..
    so how I install the new driver?
    plus the file you gave me, I don't even know how to use. When I did analyze with the file, there's no input related to upgrade video card, although it shows the result? All I See is the delete button.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds