Graphics card not showing in Device Manager

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Wakenaam, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Wakenaam

Wakenaam Private E-2

Friends: I recently installed a Radeon HD-4350 graphics card in a PCI Express slot within a HP dc5750s small form factor desktop. After doing this, I found my display takes more than 5 minutes to come on. After I installed the driver, I do not see the graphics card anywhere, not even in Device Manager. I was advised to update the motherboard and BIOS drivers, but I cannot find them. I'm not sure if this is an issue. The driver installation went well, no complaints it cannot find the hardware. I don't even see PCI Express in Device Manager. Windows 7 Ultimate. Any help would be welcome. Thank you.

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

* Double check to be sure the video card is properly seated in the slot. If it's even a tiny bit loose, the PC won't recognize it.

* Go into the BIOS and see if there is a setting for the video card. The wording on this may vary; however be sure the BIOS is set to recognize the video card ("Auto" or "PCI-e", not "on board video").

If both of these steps fail, remove the video card, set the BIOS back to "Auto" and restart the PC. In the PC boots normally using the on-board video with the PCI-e card removed, it's likely the add-in video card is defective.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Wakenaam

Wakenaam Private E-2

Thanks for the quick response. The card is secure in its slot. But I see no reference in BIOS to PCIe. There is a setting in BIOS for "ATI other display controller" which keeps reverting to disable when I enable it. Could it be I don't have the driver for PCI Express? Thanks again.

4. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If the system is working properly, the PC should recognize which port (on-board or add-in video card) the monitor is connected to. Even without the drivers installed, Windows should display using the add-in card (albeit with a very low resolution generic driver included in Windows).

If you have a friend who has a spare PCI-e video card laying around, I'd borrow and try it. This will narrow down if it is a problem with the video card or something on the motherboard and/or BIOS.

5. Wakenaam

Wakenaam Private E-2

gman863: Thanks for all the help. I could not find another power supply with more wattage to fit my machine, so I bought a less power hungry ATI PCIE graphics adapter. This adapter is working with no trouble. Thanks again for your inputs. Cheers!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds