Graphics card recommendations? :)

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by kravenscookiejar, Feb 7, 2012.

1. kravenscookiejar

kravenscookiejar Private E-2

Hey guys! I was hoping that you might be able to suggest a good graphics card upgrade for me. I'll do my own research, but it's been so long since I bought myself a new card that I thought the best place to start would be to ask some experts. So here I am. :)

I'll be using the computer to run some pretty GPU intensive software for college (game art & animation) so I need some power. I also game, but have no need to have the highest framerate. As long as I can raid smoothly, I'm happy, even if I do have to lower the graphics a bit to do it. ;)

My computer is a Dell XPS 7100, with a hexacore processor (PhenomxII, I believe? Not on it currently), and I'm about to upgrade to 16 gigs of RAM. I'm looking for something affordable, so I know it won't be top of the line, but I currently have an Radeon HD 5450, and it certainly needs to be better than that... because that sucks pretty hard. It's a PCI-e slot.

Ideally I don't really want to spend more than $150 right now. I could maybe go to $200 but really that would be pushing it.

Any suggestions off the top of your head?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  2. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

On Newegg right now $150 gets you a HD6850 1Gb card, there is an HIS HD6870 for $155, most of the HD6870's are $180-$200.

Sam

3. kravenscookiejar

Thanks, Sam! I was looking at some benchmarks and the 6870 seems to be good performance for the price. I might have to shell out the extra for it. Do you think it's worth the extra cash for the amount of upgrade?

4. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

If you get the HIS card for $5 more, I'd go for it.

Sam

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. Digerati

Since this is for GPU intensive software for college (game art & animation) work, I should point out that the best card for graphics design work is not a gaming card, but a budget busting "workstation" card. Even though you can design with a gaming card, if your priority is design, you may want to focus on a workstation card.

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Considering that the biggest difference between 'gaming' and their equivalent 'workstation' cards (other than the huge $$$ difference) is the BIOS and drivers, most people would be much happier with the 'gaming' card.

8. kravenscookiejar

Just wanted to hop in and say that I appreciate all of the advice and suggestions being given and am taking it all in. Not ignoring you guys. :)

9. Digerati

Nah! Not really - not unless you are simply considering the fact there are more kids playing games in the world than professionals who treat their systems as professional tools. Tools for CAD/CAE and graphics/animation "design" "work" and not for playing games. If you design buildings, complex machines, or do CGI/CGA, you certainly would not be happy with anything but a decent workstation card.

10. kravenscookiejar

I'm actually completely unaware of workstation cards or the difference between them and the more affordable models. I'm going to research it. I've been a PC gamer for a while, so those were the cards I always looked at.

This set up is going to be the PC that I use for college, and following their recommended hardware guidelines I'm fine the way that I am, but I want to be able to play around in the software a bit more than just the required minimum.

That being said, this also isn't going to be the computer that I have after I (hopefully) become an actual animator, so it doesn't have to be the best there is. For now, I can't afford the best, I can only afford an upgrade.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds