Graphics driver crashing XP

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by saucer, Jun 5, 2012.

1. saucer

saucer Private E-2

Hi All!!
    I have been having this problem for weeks and thought it might be malware but have benn given the all clear on the malware forum.

I have a ATI HD4670 agp card which has worked fine until a recently when XP started crashing. Initially lots of USB devices crashed the system but I updated the drivers and the system seems stable except...when I try to update the graphics driver, from the generic windows version, it crashes every time (BSOD) always at the same point and just before the driver appears to be finishing the install. I have tried older drivers and the most recent from ATI...no joy. I have had a look at the card and it seems clean and is not loose or anything.

What do you think? Software or hardware. (Given the card is only a couple of years old and the machind is getting on, I'm not sure if it is worth replacing without knowing it is the problem).

Any advice would be very welcome ;)

2. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , you must use this utility

http://majorgeeks.com/Driver_Sweeper_d6171.html

uninstalling all driver's leftover

run it
    in normal mode
    reboot your machine
    run it
    in safe mode
    reboot your machine

when the process is finished , you must navigate to ati downloading the driver doing a clean installation !! :wave

3. Goldenskull

Goldenskull I can't follow the rules

Might be your Catalyst install could be outdated too.

4. saucer

saucer Private E-2

Fantastic

After weeks of messing around and lots of random ideas off the web, none that worked...it is now fixed.

Two things: I used the Driver Sweeper which was really easy and seemed to work....then on the ATI site I saw for the first time, that there is a specific driver for AGP cards...doh! :-o

Anyway thanks so much :cool;)

5. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

I am glad it sorted out , thank you for the feedback !! :wave

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds