Graphics driver (game) crash GT540m

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ruswit, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Ruswit

Ruswit Private E-2

Hi there I have a dell xps 15 L502x , for a while now i've had a problem when playing games on my laptop the game will crash and the screen will go checked ( thats a photo http://imgur.com/cICJel4 ). It will then freeze and i will have to power off the laptop with the power switch. My laptop has a Nvidia gt540m GPU and the i7-2670qm CPU. Ive uploaded a dxdiag incase you need any more info really. Sound will often continue over in the background (my sound isnt coming out of the HDMI port so i guess its avoiding the gt540m and is going through my sound card)

Ive tried the latest drivers from nvidia using a clean install and also the ones on DELLS website with a clean install too. I used to be able to play crysis warhead on mid/low settings no worries, and now the game will crash after like... 45 seconds of playing MAX. It even happened on Jedi Knight academy (a much older and low spec game) Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

2. pwillener

pwillener MajorGeek

From your dxdiag report it appears your Nvidia driver is from 2011; the latest driver for your GT 540M was released in January 2014.

You also have an Intel HD Graphics card with a driver from 2011; I would also update that driver using http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

3. Ruswit

Ruswit Private E-2

I uninstalled the updates as they actually made the problem worse, the game used to just lock up but the update made the whole computer crash and ctrl alt delete wouldnt bring up the task manager select screen.
    Anyway I hadn't tried the other drivers, so i re-updated both, the problem still persists. (strangely after updating them when using extended desktop like i do, it defaulted to 256 colour mode? had to change it back to true colour). I wasnt too hopeful as the game wont use the integrated chip. I ran MSI afterburner on the laptop screen whilst playing on my monitor and the gpu temp was only around 72 degrees when it crashed... This is with settings on mainstream and resolution on 720p.

Not sure if its relevant but sometimes when i boot my laptop up, everything will run in slow motion (graphics wise) , so minimising windows and any animations will play like theyve been put on .5 speed or something.

4. Ruswit

Ruswit Private E-2

Anyone?

5. AtlBo

AtlBo Major Geek Extraordinaire

Ruswit...

Are you sure the picture you posted isn't a super close up of your blue jeans? Check to make sure your web cam wasn't zoomed on your jeans...

JK

If you can remove the card, I recommend at least removing the card and cleaning the connection (contact) pins. It would be ideal if you could somehow find another PC to test it in, but I guess that's not so easy with notebooks sometimes.

I have seen similar situations where a graphics card died during boot after updates were installed. This can be very confusing...whether it's the software or the hardware. Again, I think the only way to know at this point, given what you have done already, is to find another PC and test the card. Perhaps your local computer shop could perform the test for a reasonable fee. Maybe worth a phone call anyway...

6. Ruswit

Ruswit Private E-2

I have no idea about removing it as laptops tend to be quite sealed (or am i wrong?) , Ill often get messages about the driver crashing and then the screen will freeze up/show that pattern for a bit then restore afterwards so i was thinking it seemed more software? Perhaps try installing it all onto a new HDD?

7. Ruswit

Ruswit Private E-2

This is the random error message i get, http://imgur.com/rj3LEDl even whilst not playing games, just had it now whilst reading a pdf ,after a screen freeze (cyan screen) and then it recovered

8. Ruswit

Ruswit Private E-2

9. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

10. Ruswit

Ruswit Private E-2

The video shown is using a much older version of the software. Do just press display then nvidia then delete?

11. falconattack

12. Ruswit

Ruswit Private E-2

Thanks for being patient with me :p I did try it but no luck sadly . Still the same problem, I also reinstalled the game and still no luck, im thoroughly confused.

13. falconattack

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds