graphics programs crash

Discussion in 'Software' started by Grampa, Feb 11, 2010.

1. Grampa

Grampa Private E-2

I have a problem that I have never seen before. Whenever I open a graphics program it crashes almost immediately. I have tried running Paintshop Pro 5.0 and 7.0, Photoimpact 12, and Cool 3D and all of them do the same thing. I have just done a clean system recovery from supplied CDs after doing a hard format of the drive. I am up to date on Windows Update. I have run Driver Detective and all drivers are up to date. I have run SystemSuite 9.0 and got no errors. I have run SystemCare Pro and found no problems. I run AVG and scan every day or two at most. Frankly I am stumped. I can not find anything wrong but I can not run any graphics programs. Can someone please help me. Here is my system information. Thank you. 3's
    Grampa

Acer 3000 Laptop
    Phoenix NoteBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    Mobile AMD Sempron(tm) Processor 3000+
    Total Memory 1214 MB
    Current Clock Speed 1583Mhz
    Max Clock Speed 1799Mhz
    Motherboard Model Lugano M
    Manufacturer Acer, Inc.
    MATSHITA UJDA760 DVD/CDRW
    Video Adapter SiS M760GX
    SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
    Silicon Integrated Systems
    Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter
    Realtek AC'97 Audio
    SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
    SiS 5513 IDE UDMA Controller
    Disk drive IC25N080ATMR04-0 80 GB IDE
    Microsoft DirectX Version 9.0c

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Which exact model Acer us this an Extensa or Aspire?

In Device Manager do you have any yellow ! marks by any devices? if so what. Did you also install all the drivers from Acer or did you use that Driver Detective app? ask this as these driver finder apps cause more trouble then enough as they dont in tbe main get tge correct drivers as many OEMs luke Acer customise the drivers for the specific chips they use.

If you boot into safe mode (F8 at boot) do your aops worj ok, plus are these apps fully upto date?

3. Grampa

Grampa Private E-2

It is and aspire 3000. The installed drivers were on the system recovery disk. I had to update a couple of the drivers using the driver detective but the problem with the crashes was there already. There are no errors showing in Device Manager. I have not tried the safe mode boot yet so will try it now. Thank you for your help. I do have the error report that is sent to Microsoft if that would help. 3's
    Grampa

4. Grampa

Grampa Private E-2

Anyone else have any ideas? I booted to safe mode and sure enough Paintshop Pro worked fine. What the blazes could be wrong? Thank you. 3's
    Grampa

5. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

As it worked in Safe Mode, that would have just loaded a basic VGA graphic driver, so just wondering if you updated your graphic driver from one of those that Driver Detective found?

I would uninstall the graphic driver and install the one from ACER HERE for your model PC

6. Grampa

Grampa Private E-2

All hail Bwana of the keyboards. Thank you VERY much for the driver. The one I installed after the problem started did nothing. I just opened Paintshop Pro, made a bunch of changes to a photo and it just sat there purring like it was supposed to. As always great assistance. Thank you. 3's
    Grampa

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds