Great, AVG 11 has as many false positives as Avast

Discussion in 'Software' started by Major Attitude, Oct 22, 2010.

1. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

What crap this is detecting LARGE, well known applications like Verizon assistant and World of Warcraft launcher as infected. Guess AVG wants to suck like Avast, not good for considering purchasing full. Might have to go back to Nortons gaming edition or Kaspersky and pay for it. Can't rely on this as one of the Majorgeeks testing anti-virus if it does not recoginze hardly known applications, you know like World of Warcraft.

I have noticed a few emails since 11 launched telling me 5-6 year old files were infected, I guess I need to ask people if they are running Avast OR AVG from now on.

Is AVG going the way of other popular apps that went downhill? Sigh.

2. sexyandy81

sexyandy81 MajorGeek

I tried AVG 11 free edition and found it to be flagging up false positives. So I have uninstalled it and now currently using PCGuard from virgin media as it's my service provider and according to that my computer system is clean from viruses and spyware.

I have lost faith in AVG and Avast.

3. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

Even for the obvious false positive, I still quarantine with Avast. For me an definition update fixed the issue always- and they are quick. Never reported to Avast. Restored the file and scan- and all is good. Agree Avast is quite prone for a falsey at least for me. Still my choice of AV.

Totally agree with you MA, it's like a bolt from the blue and alarming when this happens. Not On WOW so can't comment. But I have a feeling a lot of others may flag the file if uploaded to Virus total.
    You know much more about all this than I could ever. I'm responding as you asked for a opinion. AVG did the same, but Avast's update fixed the false +ive a lot quicker

Cheers..

4. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

5. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Hehe, I just got hit too from PaleMoon.rolleyes I'm going back to Avast as I can't even remember the last time I got a false positive from them.

6. oma

oma MajorGeek

Strange! I used to have AVG up to including version 9 and never had even 1 false positive. After switching to the new Avast neither! Therefore I sometimes wonder if these AV programs are even doing their job on my machine. :confused But NOT that I'm looking forward to getting a FP or the real thing either. *knock wood* :-D

Palemoon is in the clear what Avast is concerned.

7. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

I'll have to agree with the Avast supporters! Every since ditching Norton in 2004, I've used Avast and never had any problems. See by browsing the Malware Removal forums that people with the paid for apps seem to be getting hit the hardest! :)

8. samtal

samtal Corporal

I've tried AVG, Avira and Avast but now use MSE. It works great and it is my favorite now. Is there a reason why it isn't listed on the MajorGeeks Top Freeware Picks????

AVG Free Edition
    Avira AntiVir Personal
    Comodo AntiVirus
    Avast! Home Edition
    Kingsoft Free Antivirus

9. samtal

samtal Corporal

10. sikvik

sikvik Corporal Karma

11. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

It may be something to do with needing to validate Windows before MSE can be downloaded?

Regarding the FP's, I get them with almost every A/V I use, something to do with the tools I sometimes use (some Nirsoft progs and tools written in AutoIt in particular), if any A/V flags more than that, I don't use or recommend it (after checking with Virustotal, Anubis, Joebox, etc.).

I prefer layered protection rather than a full suite; if I need to troubleshoot, I can reduce the layers singly rather than having to uninstall all the protection in one shot.

I test most of the free A/V's and keep coming back to Avast!, I've not installed or tested it for about 6 weeks but I will as soon as I get the opportunity (actually, I'll do it now, I don't normally have an A/V on this machine ;) so it'll be interesting).

12. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

Just back from testing Avast! then AVG2011.

At least Avast! was controllable, AVG was a complete nightmare, worse than many malware infections I've dealt with.

Whilst either program might be fine when installed on new, clean machines, don't bother with AVG if you like having control over your PC and software.

13. Kestrel13!

Kestrel13! Super Malware Fighter - Major Dilemma Staff Member

I loved avg when it was v7.5...after that it just went downhill for me.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds