Greetings and questions

Discussion in 'Software' started by tkjdnow, Jan 2, 2009.

1. tkjdnow

tkjdnow Private E-2

Two questions:
    One post I read by major Attitude said never to store programs and downloads on the desktop.

Where do you put them? I have a very cluttered destop because I don't know what else to do with stuff. I save word docs to My Documents, and pics to My Pictures, and music to itunes, but what about software setups and programs?

I googled the query but found nothing useful.

Also: if you receive a notification about a Trojan, and your malware programs say it is removed or quarantined, and subsequent scans show nothing, is it alright to move documents and photos and music to a different computer, or they likely to be compromised?

Thank you all for this website, it is amazing.

2. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Ya, that's good advice from MA. What I did way back when was to copy the way that Major Geeks keeps things classified on the front page. I have a complete partition that I created just for programs and made a separate folder for like groups and sub-folders for each different program so that I know what's where. Something like this.

Attached Files:

3. tkjdnow

tkjdnow Private E-2

Augiedoggie -- How do you do that? My Docs, My Pics, etc. are on the start menu.

It looks like you have a Mac -- would I create folders in the C drive on a PC:-o?

Any thoughts on question 2 -- compromised documents? Anybody?

4. augiedoggie

No, I have a PC and that particular screenshot is from my Vista install. The easiest for you at the moment is to create a folder in your C: drive and called 'Apps' for example and under that you can create subfolders for each different one and then move them off of the desktop and into the folders you created.

As to worrying about compromised documents etc., do a scan with your anti-virus first. If you're not sure you are clean then go through the Read and Run me first in the malware forum and then post your logs there as requested. Good luck.:)

Oh, I'll be here for a while still so I can help you more if needed.;)

5. augiedoggie

Oh, on relocating your docs and pics, unless you have a separate partition or hard disk drive to move them to then I wouldn't bother trying, just make sure and back them up on CD so's you don't lose them.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds