Greetings, my distaste for windows is now epic.

Discussion in 'Software' started by Fallen Angel, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Fallen Angel

Fallen Angel Private First Class

After crashing like 4 times today for no apparent reason : linux is the answer.

i already have ubuntu installed.
    however.
    it is not my primary operating system.
    my primary right now is xp . i despise it.

Problem.
    During my startup routine, it asks me which os i'd like to boot to. However, since i'm using a logitech g15 for a keyboard - it connects via usb so it is not recognized until windows boots.

List:
    windows xp
    windows xp
    windows xp
    windows xp
    windows recovery utility
    Ubuntu

theres a 12 second wait i think
    theres a few installations of xp because eh. it corrupted a couple times ...

SO:
    how do i A, remove the xp options from boot and B, make Ubuntu the primary OS.

thank you .

2. aleem

aleem Private E-2

You can complete this by using Ubuntu. I would use the Partition Editor under System>Administration. Delete all the XP partitions.

3. Fallen Angel

sorry bout this, nvm i figured it out ...

i actually did it in windows ...

system > advanced > startup settings -
    made the primary ubuntu and the wait 3

thanks anyway

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Aleem, your answer was off base. Why would he need to fully delete the XP partition? There is a sticky in this forum that describes setup of dual boot.

Fallen Angel, You can edit GRUB to load Ubuntu only. As to the error with keyboard, do you have more than one USB port on the computer. You may find changing the USB Keyboard to another USB port will find it at boot. Also, do you have legacy USB enabled in the BIOS?

What version of Ubuntu did you install.

5. Fallen Angel

well, i've just uninstalled ubuntu 8.04 and installing 8.10 ultimate 2.0 - (gamer)

formatting 500gb of my hd right now -

im unsure of everything i'm formatting ... at least 400gb of movies/tv shows - i can get them back i guess.

6. aleem

aleem Private E-2

Sorry I probably did understand the question. I taught he only wanted Ubuntu on the computer.

7. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Well, seems that is what he has now, wanted or not!
    ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds