Greetings, Penguins and Others.

Discussion in 'Software' started by 1fastbullet, Jul 25, 2008.

1. 1fastbullet

1fastbullet Private E-2

I'm not sure this isn't a waste of time that I would be better off using to figure out why things that were working in Ubuntu suddenly decided to UNwork, but I needed the break.

AS you might surmise, I'm a Linux Ubuntu/Kubuntu victim and apparent glutton for punishment.

If anybody tries to blow smoke up your butt by telling you how simple and easy Ubuntu is, I recommend you shoot them on the spot. Linux is a wonderful thing when it works. That's the problem: it doesn't. Or if it does (for a little while) you can count on an "update" coming along intent upon disabling those few things you finally did get to work.
    Help? Don't hold your breath waiting for help. The cupboard is bare. The forums are typically filled with elitist #%*@%'s who are in the coffee lounge discussing the upcoming soccer play-offs while the clowns who answer your post are full of helpful advice like "Gee, you might need to do a complete re-install, that might fix it" Thanks for the advice, brainchild, but so would a freaking Vista install.

Anyway, now that I got that off my chest and managed to tick-off all 2 of the other Linux users that hang out here, let me get to the point of my visit. Did I mention that I needed the break?

I notice that Motherboard Monitor is a Windows-only app and decided to go in search of a similar app that (heh, heh, heh) is "compatible" with Linux, and, preferably KDE.
    No, I'm not attempting to be smug. KDE, or "K" Desktop Environment, is one of the 5 or 6 flavors available to Ubuntu victims. (It's a kind of a pick-your-punishment thing).
    It would be far too easy to just need a Motherboard Monitor-like app that would simply apply to all Ubuntu. I need, specifically, a KDE compatible app.
    If anyone happens to know of such a creature- and if I don't shoot myself in the head, first- I'd sincerely appreciate hearing about it.
    Thanks.

P.S. For the curious, the answer is simple. The (ahem) "pleasures" of installing Vista were accompanied by a price tag somewhere in the Hundreds of dollars. Linux, on the other hand, allows you all the "pleasure" you can stand for free. In this way, it leaves more money in your account, which your psychiatrist desperately needs.

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

roflmao.

I'm moving you to the Linux forum.

3. dnnyo

dnnyo Private First Class

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. 1fastbullet

1fastbullet Private E-2

Dnnyo, if you did not previously believe in God, this fact, alone, should change your life.

6. 1fastbullet

1fastbullet Private E-2

Adrynalyne,

Thank you for the link. I had only a moment to glance at it, but it looks quite good and, to quote the governor of California, "I'll be bok".
    Thanks again.

7. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

wow, im surprised there hasn't been any backlash from more linux users...I gave Suse linux a try a while back and was just a headache...i will say, ubuntu worked when i used the live cd...it was fun actually, to play around with, but without much windows game use (yes, i know, i could play some games, but things like punkbuster wont work in linux) i didn't really have a use for it...like i said, the live cd's are kinda cool, for troubleshooting problems, but other than that, i hadn't had much use.

8. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Thats because they fear my wrath.

RAWR!

9. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

i'm ok here - i'll just sit here behind my mandriva and watch :p:wine

10. 1fastbullet

1fastbullet Private E-2

G'mornin', thesmokingun

Yeah the lack of whiplash is rather disappointing. But as I said, "all 2 of the other..."

Then again, they're both probably trying to figure out how to get their particular flavor of Linux to work long enough to give me a good cussin'.

11. 1fastbullet

1fastbullet Private E-2

Hawklord, thanks for all the help.

I say this in jest. Actually, I just finished using a live disk I made this morning for Knoppix v5.1 and I do believe I liked what I saw. Anybody have any experience with Knoppix?

12. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Let me understand.

1- you dislike Linux because Ubuntu did not work.

2- You like the looks of Knoppix (not a starter for Linux) and want to install that next?

Have you tried solving what is broken, and then moving from there?
    Have you tried Linux Mint?

Those of use with some experience sympathize with post #1 about updates breaking things, but it is a long way from the days of Red Hat 6.0 and Mandrake 6.1.

:major

13. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

my linux (mandriva 2008.0) works fine - in fact its better than fine,

i compare this to w2k and xp, i dual boot with w2k and have another pc with xp on - i also have knoppix on a bootable pen drive with a persistent 'settings' folder and i can do everything and anything i want from linux - free,:-D

thats actually a lie - for some strange reason my webcam won't send in kopete (my msn program), but thats no big deal

14. 1fastbullet

1fastbullet Private E-2

Bored, I'm beginning to understand, now. You may need to go to Amazon.com and see if anyone is selling a sense of humor today.

"you dislike Linux because Ubuntu did not work"
    What gave you that impression?

"You like the looks of Knoppix (not a starter for Linux) and want to install that next?"
    You'll have to forgive me. I thought this one came with training wheels.

"Have you tried solving what is broken, and then moving from there?"
    Why, no, actually. The thought never occurred to me.

"Have you tried Linux Mint?"
    No. But If you have, I'm sure it must be wonderful. (does it count that I once had a dinner mint?)

"Those of use with some experience sympathize with post #1 about updates breaking things, but it is a long way from the days of Red Hat 6.0 and Mandrake 6.1."
    This gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling. So, like, what's you're point? That you've paid your dues? That I haven't paid mine? That releasing garbage and calling it "new & improved" makes it a good thing? All of the above?

It's a terrible shame that I've hit a nerve in you, but I'm glad it's not my problem. So consider this: You are the one person who showed up here to whine and didn't bring a damn bit of advice with you. You can return to the coffee lounge any time you wish. You'll not be missed.

P.S. DOS was really cool, too, back in the Stone Ages.

15. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Now children, don't make me put you in a corner until you behave.

16. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Another linux user weighing in here (I think there are more than 2 of us, LOL). You won't get any backlash from me.

FACT: All Operating Systems have a learning curve.
    You just need to decide if you want to spend time learning something new or sticking to the familiar. Even though Vista might be a new flavor, the basic windows structure was probably learned under Win 3.0 and further learned under 95 and/or 98 so it isn't all that strange. Linux will be strange because everything is different.

FACT: Not every distro works on every computer out there.
    Before i install, I try some live distros to see what it is a good fit for the computer at hand.

FACT: There isn't a comparable app for every piece of software that runs under windows.
    I run windows apps I love in windows and linux apps I love in linux . I rarely spend time searching for a program for one computer when it is easier to fire up another computer and get the job done using the program I want.

FACT: Not every linux distro is ready for prime time.
    I look at maybe the top ten and even there from version to version, one distro can be great and the next version have problems. I find one that works and stick with it for awhile to try and learn it.

FACT: Just because 10,000 people sing the praises of any distro, it might not be one you like.
    Don't install something because lots of people said it was great. it might be great on their computers but not yours. You don't need to apologize for not liking a distro.

Currently, I'm running the Xandros/Debian Etch hybrid that comes installed on the ASUS linux eeepc. I'm hardly thrilled with it but before I bought, I did research and decided I was willing to spend the time and a few dollars for a useful computer. Eventually, I will replace the OS on this but I still have lots to learn.

If Ubuntu isn't working for you (it didn't work for me but I keep sending for the free CDs when a new version comes out), dump it and try something else.
    http://www.frozentech.com/content/livecd.php
    there are hundreds of choices. ;)

17. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

My apologies if I seemed abrupt.

Ok, so you are looking for an application to monitor temps?

You can do this with conky. It is a bit of a curve to learn, and there are threads on the Ubuntu Forums.

http://www.linuxmint.com/ is a worthwile alternate Linux distro based on Ubuntu.

18. 1fastbullet

1fastbullet Private E-2

Plodr:

An absolutely outstanding reply. Yours should be the chosen words of initiation to all new users of Linux, across the board.

There are, indeed, many more distros available than I (and likely, most people) ever realized- evidenced by the link you included with your reply.

I agree that there is certainly a learning curve in each flavor of Linux alone, in addition to that of making the change from any of the Windows OSs. But there is nothing that cannot and will not be overcome, given a bit of time and trial.

I will continue to try out the variations, as you have done, until I find something comfortable to me and my hardware and then quite likely customize it further.

Bravo, man. Very well said!

19. 1fastbullet

1fastbullet Private E-2

Bored:

Thank you for both of the leads you provided. I will definitely look into them.

Peace, my man.

20. 1fastbullet

1fastbullet Private E-2

Adrynalyne:

I found the gkrellm item that you spoke of. As you suggested, it was hiding in the repository all along. Knowing its name was indeed a major help to finding it.

I checked it and a number of related plug-ins for installation so, I'll soon see how it goes.

Thanks, again.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds