Grub Rescue problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ph4n70m_H4ck3r.d9, May 6, 2015.

1. Ph4n70m_H4ck3r.d9

Ph4n70m_H4ck3r.d9 Private E-2

Hello fellow Geeks, im a newbie, no biggie, just a normal teen. Now im currently experiencing this problem here, so i hope someone here is willing to teach me step by step through this mess.

Originally, i had an Asus Notebook PC X201E with a Windows 8 installed. With both curiousity and the impetuosity of youth, i ventured on the various Operating Systems. Downloaded some like Backtrack 5, Ubuntu v.14.10, and of course, the newest Windows 10. I had multiple OS running alongside in my PC. As i came across the newest version for Linux OS (Kali Linux), i just had to install it. Therefore upon the deletion of the Ubuntu partition, i now suffer a GRUB problem of being unable to access my files on Windows. Currently now available on my monitor screen is the following...

error: unknown filesystem.
    Entering rescue mode...
    grub rescue>

Ive tried typing ls for the various files, and ive got...
    (hd0) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos4) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0,msdos1)

Tried the...
    grub rescue> set root=(hdX,Y)
    grub rescue> set prefix =(hdX,Y)/boot/grub or....
    grub rescue> ls (hdX,Y)/usr/lib/grub/i386-pc (this is an alternative course right?)
    grub rescue> insmod normal or just "normal"
    All tried, and the end states "Filesystem is unknown."????

Since all failed, mostly due to my lack of understanding this issue, i turned to try booting from the BIOS the Ubuntu OS burned to my CD. However, since there is no CD, DVD reader bulit-in to my laptop, i have purchased a hard drive CD reader. The Samsung Portable DVD Writer, model SE-208. (Just saying in case you need such info) The bad news is the BIOS couldnt detect my DVD reader. NOTE, i have used that reader for a few months already, its not newly purchased. The BIOS clearly detected the reader before until this happened.
    Currently i dont have another laptop to place an OS into a USB drive and make it bootable, so im kinda stuck with the CD and DVD here. So i cant use the Boot-Repair Disk method.
    Seriously, i do hope someone can help me, thru the GRUB method to solve this.
    Kudos to the one who can save me......

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Reset the BIOS to the Default settings.

3. Ph4n70m_H4ck3r.d9

Ph4n70m_H4ck3r.d9 Private E-2

Thanks, but I solved it somehow :-D, still thanks for ur reply, means much dear sir

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds