Gt 20l dvd drive recognizes cd but not dvd

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DUDE47, Sep 21, 2012.

1. DUDE47

DUDE47 Private E-2

I own a HP G60 notebook pc with windows 7 on it. I am having trouble with it recognizing the dvds yet the cds work fine.

I suspect that it has a bad drive. Can anyone tell me if they have experienced this problem? I have tried reinstalling drivers. Yhe drive makes sounds but doesn't spin up. I don't want to assume that it is a hardware problem if it can be fixed with a setting change or software.

Thank you

2. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

I am with the bad drive. Check the cables, maybe one came loose?

Also, what shows up in both your BIOS and Device Manager, even Windows Explorer?

If the drive is there and you tried more than one brand of DVD, I feel good that the drive died.

3. DUDE47

DUDE47 Private E-2

I checked the device manager. Even reinstalled drive
    It will recognize cds just not dvds.
    Not quite sure how to check bios or windows explorer.
    Cables? I have a laptop so I don't believe cables are required unless it is some type of connection at the board or something.
    Thanks

4. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Tried more than one brand of DVD?

Rather than reinstall the drivers, go to control panel and find the dvd drive, right click and remove. Reboot.

From there I think you checked everything.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds