Gtx 1060 Not Displaying In Full Screen Mode

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 20Valve, Feb 18, 2017.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Greetings Geeks -

I just replaced my old 960 GTX 4 gig with a new Gigabyte GTX 1060 6 gig card. What an adventure.

First, I knocked my CPU cooler loose. And then knocked my memory loose. Then I realized the old GTX used a DVI-A to VGA adapter and the 1060 uses a DVI-D. So I had to order one online. Then I was getting BIOS errors on startup. Still getting a few beeps. I could not wait anymore to try the card and I figured I would use the correct cable instead of an adapter so I drove to Office Depot and got a DVI-D cable (not cheap, what a ripoff!). Then I got stuck in a Safe Mode loop when I uninstalled the old drivers. Msconfig would not display in Safe Mode so I could not set the computer to restart in normal mode. Despite doing some research I had to figure that one out myself - I had to open msconfig in a DOS box for it to display correctly (patting myself on the back1). I do know what I am doing, so all this was super frustrating! Anyway . . .

Everything works fine - except for some games in fullscreen mode. I get a black screen despite the game running. I cannot force fullscreen with alt-enter, that does nothing. I can't even alt-tab or cntrl-alt-d. I have to do a hard reboot. I tried a few things - tweaking the Nvidia scaling and such in the control panel. I did a total uinstall\sweep of old drivers and reinstalled from scratch. No luck. I have not tried all of my games yet, but the ones I know of at this point that won't run are GTAV and Fallout 4.

I will of course try the adapter when it arrives in the mail, and I will be happy with that if it works. I don't want to install the old card for control testing until I try the adapter (and possibly awakening more gremlins!). So, does anyone have any idea of how to go about winning this showdown?

My setup is:

i5 4670k
    Windows 10
    8 Gigs of ram
    Gigabyte GTX 1060 6 gigs
    LG Flatron W2241T Monitor
    ASROCK H8-VG4 mobo

Thanks for any help.

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Just a quick thought, have you plugged in the extra 8pin power cable needed in the top? also whats your PSU total power as new GPUs need a fair amount of juice.

3. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

I have been known to have that exact kind of brain fart - but this time I am in the clear! Yeap, the power connected securely into the card. Good suggestion though, often the solution is the most obvious and overlooked one. I can't remember the specs on my power supply, but is at least 500W dual rail (or whatever the fancy pants spec for that is called) and is more than ample.

The adapter did not work. So, I hooked up a different monitor and it works fine. However, my wife gave me some grief because the monitor was for another area of the house. It was bigger, but the image quality was not that great so I abandoned that solution anyway. In the meantime, I purchased a HDMI cable for testing with the original monitor - no luck, same problem. So I was on the $hook$ for a new HDMI cable, a DVI-I cable, and adapters (I bought the cables at the store so even the cheap ones were not cheap!). I just gave in and bought a monitor. In fact, it is on the truck for delivery now and I am waiting it's arrival as I type this message. The new one is far from top of the line, and does not have an HDMI interface but it is surely better than my old monitor. I will be using the DVI-I interface which is fine with me. Here is the monitor I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D601UC8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully my personal epic and sweeping simple task of replacing a video card is near closure. I will follow up for good measure one I get everything up and running . . .

4. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Okay - new monitor arrived. Same problems. Red lines and dots, this time not just in some games. The card does not have a VGA port, or the monitor an HDMI port. I did try the VGA to DVI-I convertor into the monitor, but the monitor says does not detect a signal. So . . . I am thinking it could somehow be the video card. I have the latest video drivers and I installed the newest driver software for the monitor. I am now going to try some different combinations of of monitors, cards, and cables. So, do I send this monitor back for one with a HDMI port or try another video card? I wish I had the foresight to order a monitor with an HDMI port. I am thoroughly flummoxed and frustrated at this point. . . .

5. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Okay - the saga continues. My Windows install is now officially gone mad. I have started a new thread to resolve this problem here:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/index.php?threads/stuck-in-windows-10-repair-mode.316007/

All for a video card. The humanity, the horror, the . . . I am at a loss for words. Sending the monitor back for one with an HDMI port. Going to order a new hard drive for a fresh Windows 10 install. The good news is I can access the data from my defective hard drive - Windows just can boot from it. I don't trust the drive as a boot drive as I believe it has bad sectors. I will install Windows on a new drive. I am hoping to get a license transfer of my free Win 10 to a new hard drive - fingers crossed . . .

DavidGP likes this.
  6. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Weird issue indeed but hope that a new HDD and install, plus the monitor with HDMI port helps as should do, the red dots and issues alike are normally heat related, so do give your PC case a really good clean and also unplug and re-plug every cable back in as dust will accumulate and can cause issues, I clean my tower out completely every 3-4 months with a quick vacuum of fans and grills

7. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Got it all sorted out. I can't begin to even slightly reflect over the train wreck that started as a simple video card upgrade!

Heat was not an issue, even though I did not even think of that- good thinking. I may have eventually investigated that possibility had other solutions not worked out. My case is pretty clean and free flowing with plenty of fans and such, temps are well within specs. I do clean sometimes on a regular basis, especially each summer before things get hot. But why bother when things are running fine, right!? :)

I eventually had to reformat the hard drive and lose some data, nothing life critical, but a loss non-the-less. My new 24" Viewsonic HDMI monitor is getting along nicely with my new 6 gig 1060 GTX. Now that I have my new video card and monitor, I will perform my mobo and RAM upgrade in early 2018. Based on my recent video card upgrade experience I am thinking the Major Geeks members will be hearing from me at that time!

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds