GTX 460 Runing hot

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Bryan1218, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Bryan1218

Bryan1218 Private E-2

Ok so, I am easing into PC knowledge at the moment. However, I still know very little and what I do know I usually have to run by friends to ensure I am not wrong. I just purchased this budget pc through cyberpowerpc, I like it it runs well but I have one question as to the heat from the GPU. It's a EVGA GTX 460(not overclocked) and it runs at about 80-85celcius in Final Fantasy 14 and Starcraft 2 on max settings(default). All the sites I am reading say that it shoulding break 75 full load. Do I have anything to worry about? Also, there is a fan mounted on the side of the case near the GPU but on the back there is a radiator thing attached to the fan, the radiotor I assume is liquid cooling running to the CPU(that's where the tubes go). Any help or even telling me I have nothing to worry about would be appreciated. I am a student and can't afford to have a card burn out on me. Thanks in advance! Also any other questions I need to answer just let me know, here are the specs I deem to be important.

CAS: CoolerMaster Elite 310 Mid-Tower Case with See-Thru Side Panel
    CPU: Intel(R) Coreā„¢ i5-760 2.80 GHz 8M Intel Smart Cache LGA1156
    CS_FAN: Default case fans
    FAN: Asetek 510LC Liquid Cooling System 120MM Radiator & Fan (Enhanced Cooling Performance + Extreme Silent at 20dBA)
    HDD: 2TB SATA-II 3.0Gb/s 32MB Cache 7200RPM HDD (Single Hard Drive)
    MEMORY: 4GB (2GBx2) DDR3/1600MHz Dual Channel Memory Module (Corsair or Major Brand)
    MOTHERBOARD: [CrossFireX] Asus P7P55 LX Intel P55 Chipset DDR3 LGA1156 ATX Mainboard w/ 7.1 HD Audio, GbLAN, USB2.0, SATA-II, RAID, 2 Gen2 PCIe, 2 PCIe X1, & 3 PCI
    MULTIVIEW: Non-SLI/Non-CrossFireX Mode Supports Multiple Monitors
    OS: Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 Home Premium [+104] (64-bit Edition)
    OVERCLOCK: No Overclocking
    POWERSUPPLY: * 650 Watts - Corsair CMPSU-650TX 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready [+73]
    SOUND: HIGH DEFINITION ON-BOARD 7.1 AUDIO
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 1GB 16X PCIe Video Card [+92] (EVGA Powered by NVIDIA [+10])

2. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

GPUs typically run hot, it's nothing to worry about. If it goes over 90C, then you have an issue. CPUs, on the other hand, shouldn't run over 60C.

3. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

If the GPU has the stock cooling heatsink/fan, look at upgrading it. A decent one from Zalman will set you back about $40 (much less than a new video card). Check the reviews on Newegg or Amazon; be sure the heatsink/fan combo you choose is compatible with the GTX460 and not too tall to interfere with other cards close to the GPU heatsink/fan.

If you have an open slot in the case next to the GPU fan, you could also consider a horizontal "squirrel cage" type fan that mounts in 1-2 slots (it does not require inserting into a PCI slot on the board itself). These run about $10-$20. Check the airflow ratings on each model: more is better.

I'm not debating mcsmc's answer; I'm just a firm believer in there is no such thing as too much cooling.

Hope this helps :)

4. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

80-85 is a little hotter then I would like.

What type of case cooling do you have? How many fans and such.

5. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

• Antec Sonata Mid-Tower (not a "gaming" case)
    • 120mm rear Enermax fan (magnetic drive, removable blades for easier cleaning)
    • Thermaltake "Big Typhoon" CPU cooler w/ 120mm fan
    • 2x 92mm fans (blowing inward) at front of case to cool 2x Seagate 1.5TB HDDs
    • E8400 CPU on Gigabyte EP43-UD-L mobo
    • EVGA 210 video card

I was running an ATI 4870; however it had driver issues (audio/video stuttering and occasional freeze-ups or BSOD) on this mobo. Although the 210 isn't a gaming card, it's adaquate for what I do (especially at $15 after rebate. :)). I'm moving the 4870 into a home theater/AVCHD editing system using an AMD Quad Core; hopefully the 4870 will work better in an AMD/ATI setup.

Since you're not using multiple video cards (SLI/Crossfire), it's doubtful you need a true gaming case such as an Antec 300 or CoolerMaster HAF series. My experience with video card meltdowns is usually based on the stock GPU fan either failing or not being powerful enough to dissipate the GPU heat in extreme gaming/video editing.

Going back to my initial advice, if it were my system the first thing I'd do is upgrade the video card heatsink/fan. See if this drops the GPU temp. If it doesn't drop it to a level you're confortable with, add one or more of the following if needed:

• Replace the existing rear case fan with one that has a higher airflow rating.
    • If there is a spot to add a fan to the side of the case, do so.
    • If there is room on the case's back PCI slots and in the case itself, add a high velocity "squirrel cage" PCI slot fan as close to the GPU fan as possible. This is the first step after upgrading the GPU heatsink/fan I would try since it will pull hot air away from the area closest to the video card and GPU.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  6. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Maybe pull out the 410 if it's still in there, to give the 460 some room to breathe. Also, is the WC radiator fan pushing the air in or out? Some, like my H-50 recommend pushing air in. Only other thing I can think of is to grab eVGA's Precision Tool from their site and manually increase the fan %. My 470 runs at 90C at full load with auto fan but can go down to 65C at %100 fan, if you can bear the noise. There's also an MSI proggie called AfterBurner that can be programmed to make a profile depending on what you're doing/temps, the fan adjusts itself and keeps things cooler compared to the auto. Nice app.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2010
  7. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

Augie, I've also seen a "super" liquid cooling produt at computer and auto parts stores that claims to offer better heat dissipation than standard "anti-freeze"-based liquids. Any idea if this actually works or is it a scam?

8. augiedoggie

No idea but stay away from the auto store as they don't have the anti-fungals to my knowledge.

9. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

No problem. I guess I was just killing two birds with one stone by asking about both the PC and my car.

With respect to the late investigative reporter Marvin Zindler, the last thing I want is slime in the PC cooling system! :-D

10. Bryan1218

Bryan1218 Private E-2

[​IMG]

Ok soo.... I'm still slightly nervous that it's running hot, and wonder if it might be due to the liquid cooling to the cpu getting in the way of the exit fan? There is no fan on the front and there is only one fan on the side.

11. Bryan1218

Bryan1218 Private E-2

[​IMG]

Here's the image of my case, fan on the side(not visable) no fan on the front with no power spots left for a fan plug. The radiator on the back for the liquid cooling cpu I think might be preventing the exit fan from being useful. Any help is awesome, thanks again!

12. augiedoggie

Is that a CoolerMaster case? There should be room between the HDD cage and the chassis for at least a slim fan. As to the exit fan, is that the one that was supplied with the chassis or with the radiator as I'd use the latter.

BTW, for your watercooler radiator, I'd flip that 90 degrees so that the hoses point towards you to relieve the tension near the pump, I'd also not plug the pump into the CPU fan plug if that's where it is as the pump should always run at %100. As for not having anymore fan plugs onboard, there are PSU molex to fan power adapters usually included with blister packed fans and sold separately..

Did you build this machine? If so, that is some nice cable management.:drool

Last edited: Nov 17, 2010
  13. Bryan1218

Bryan1218 Private E-2

Hey thanks for the info,

Couple questions... How would I tell if the fan on the back came with the chasis or the cooler? Also should I look into getting new fans as a first step? I never really put my hand up to them until now but they don't have much umph. What are the minimums for case fans I should be looking for? Also I kind of yeah the drrrrrr moment after I realized there would the power supply to fan attachments in a box I had in my basement. As to me building this... no not yet, however I am enrolling in a computer hardware class next quarter and hoping that me being able to isn't far off! Thanks again!

Oh also as to the front, as you can barely see in the picture, at the bottom right that is where the fan would be blowing into the case. Not much for ventilation, would that still be useful?

14. augiedoggie

(a) Well, since you say you can't feel much oomph and since you didn't build this machine, I'd say the exit fan is blowing in and that doesn't help your 460.

(b) A front fan will help a lot but I believe you have to be able to take the front bezel off to screw the fan in there. Any 120x25mm fan will do but do spend a bit more money on it say $4 min., it'll last you longer.

If your temps are still too high then you'll have to manually increase the fan speed on your 460.

15. Bryan1218

Bryan1218 Private E-2

Again, thanks so much. I'll exhaust those options and get back to ya :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds