Gtx titan lag

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by toodoo9011, Sep 13, 2013.

1. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

Hi i have installed a titan in my hp xw6600 machine and i play crysis 3 max max itblags sometimes it lags abit

My psu is 650w +12 is 35amp

Evga said i need a better psu as titan requires min 36amp on +12

Cpu is xeon 2x e5450
    32gb ram.

Quick and simple answers appreciated.

2. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

I'd want to be looking at 40W on the 12v rail to be safe, that card will pull 250W.

Ensure you buy a quality PSU, Seasonic/XFX are the easy option as they're all high quality and built by Seasonic; almost all the other 'makers' source or have 'their' PSUs built by multiple OEMs, difficult to track down which models are good, bad or indifferent.

3. satrow

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Depends what you mean by lag, I'll assume you mean low frame rate during intense action and graphically intense scenes.

I consider anything below 60fps as less than optimum, if that's what you mean by lag then you will get a lot of low performance on Crysis 3 on max settings, even the Titan can't run Crysis 3 at max.

http://hothardware.com/Reviews/GeForce-GTX-Titan-Performance-Yes-It-CAN-Play-Crysis-3/?page=9

If you crank the settings up to max 4MSAA 16XANISO @ 2560x1600 You'll only average 25fps but there will be dips much lower which will make it almost unplayable, even at 1920X1200 you'll only average something like 40fps at max, even less really as you only have a dual core xeon.

So you really need to dial the settings down until you find it playable, especially MSAA it's a performance killer.

To check your card is running correctly run 3dmark or heaven benchmark and compare with online scores.

5. satrow

I read it as 2x quad Xeons ;) probably little better (if any) than an Ivy i7 though.

6. Rikky

Yup a little better hehe:wave My bad,silly re-read edit.

And that's 40amps on the 12V rail-

:-D

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  7. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

Ok so what cpu do they use in the titan test review?

Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  8. satrow

9. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

Yeah ive ordered 1000w z ocz psu just to be on the same side.its not the best but seems to have great reviews.

10. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

Il do a heaven bnchmark when i get home and let you know aswell.i tried kombuster benchmark and my pc restarts itself.scary but hey

Also i thought the titan could handle any game in the world with ease which is why i paid 800 pounds for it.superclocked aswell

11. satrow

NO! If it's restarting, it means there's a problem, don't stress that PSU any more, if it dies, it might take other hardware - and your data - with it!

I'd have opted for this PSU.

12. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

Oh ok. So should i stop gaming aswell just to be on the safe side till i install my new psu?

You guys are great helpers.believe that.

13. satrow

Stay safe, play Spider Solitaire ;)

14. Rikky

An I7 3960 6 core, one of the best on the market.

Dual cpu xeons are for servers really games won't make full use of both cpu's so you have to look at single cpu performance and that means for gaming you have a single E5450 XEON, when compared in passmark you cpu scores 4,335 and the I7 3960 scores 12,737, even if both cpu's were fully utilised they would still only have 2/3 the horsepower, that doesn't translate to 2/3 gaming performance though.

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/high_end_cpus.html

So you will also be bottlenecked by your cpu's when compared with the performance review I posted.

Crysis 3 actually scales quite well with better cpu's-

http://www.techspot.com/review/642-crysis-3-performance/page6.html

15. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

well fair enough if they cant handle crisis 3 at top settings e.g. 60 fps then im not too bothered because nor can the I7 3960 6 core.So

I think im getting around 25 fps average on crisis 3 at the moment on max settings but I hope to see some improvement once I install my new psu. my current psu doesn't meet the minimum requirement of 40 amps on +12 as it says on the side of the gtx titan gpu box in which it came with. my new psu will have 83amps on +12.yes I know its overkill and the reason for that is because I wanted to make sure that minimum requirement problem is completely eliminated.

I have been told this before an i7 is better than xeon but no has ever explained to me why but never mind.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  16. Rikky

No problem:) And we believe in psu over kill around here;)

17. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

I forgot to mention that my current psu has 2 6 pins and i connected one of the 6 pins to an 8 pin via an adaptor.is this maybe the cause of the lag ?

18. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

Well got my psu today and installed .i press the power button turns on for one second and switches off immediatly.

I googled the posible problems inc shorting and tried everything and still the same problem

19. Rikky

Make sure you have two PCI-E power connectors on the card one 8 pin and one 6 pin, make sure you've connected the motherboard power connector, double check everything after a rebuild it's highly likely you've missed something, highly unlikely your getting a different symptom of the same problem with a new power supply.

Basic troubleshooting

Disconnect all uneeded peripherals including all drives, use one stick of memory in slot 0 then switch to a different stick, then a different slot.

Perform a cmos reset, disconnect power and find the small coin shaped battery, remove for 12 seconds then replace and try to boot.

Reseat all components apart from cpu's,,check no fan connectors have become snagged during the rebuild.

Test the new psu by shorting the green and any black wire on the main motherboard connector with a paper clip, the psu should fire into life, alternatively you can get a cheap psu tester although it's unlikely to be DOA.

If nothing works do you have a spare card you can try? I'd seriously be considering the card is bad at this point, obviously a better alternative is to try the card in another computer and run some benchmarks to see if the card fails and is running at full performance.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  20. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

21. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

i have tried what it and still nothing ive been looking at hp xw8600 power supply for my xw6600 model

Will it work with my motherboard? The xw8600 has 24 connectors for motherboard but only 20 pins!!??

Mu curent psu has 24 connectors with 24 pins in them.

22. Rikky

Can you identify your motherboard and post the information?

23. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

seems to me my motherboard dosent accept ocz 1000w psu maybe its because its an atx psu

Motherboard
    Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
    Model 0A9Ch (XU1 PROCESSOR)
    Chipset Vendor Intel
    Chipset Model 5400B
    Chipset Revision C0
    Southbridge Vendor Intel
    Southbridge Model 6321ESB
    Southbridge Revision 09
    System Temperature 30 °C
    BIOS
    Brand Hewlett-Packard
    Version 786F4 v01.46
    Date 20/09/2012
    PCI Data
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage In Use
    Bus Width Unknown
    Slot Designation SLOT 1 PCIe x8 (4)
    Slot Number 0
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width Unknown
    Slot Designation SLOT 2 PCIe x16
    Slot Number 1
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width Unknown
    Slot Designation SLOT 3 PCIe x8 (4)
    Slot Number 2
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage Available
    Bus Width Unknown
    Slot Designation SLOT 4 PCIe x16
    Slot Number 3
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage In Use
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation SLOT 5 PCI
    Slot Number 4
    Slot PCI
    Slot Type PCI
    Slot Usage In Use
    Bus Width 32 bit
    Slot Designation SLOT 6 PCI
    Slot Number 5

24. Rikky

Yeah I don't doubt, I'd like to know the name of your motherboard to see a pin voltage diagram of the power connector to see if there's a way around the problem but I can't find any information on the motherboard.

I'd be tempted to dump to whole board in favour of a single CPU ATX board. You've spent £900 on a power supply and video card but have become severely limited by the proprietary psu and even if you do get hold of a power supply that's compatible 'the one you posted doesn't sound compatible' you'll still be limited by your server designed xeon cpu when compared to medium performance desktop quad cores in games.

These computers are not designed to be upgraded easily and my help in this situation is limited, you really need someone with lots of experience with HP's or contact HP for more information.

25. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

Basically i need a psu which will work with my motherboard.

26. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

Well id need alot of funds to go that route and id be looking at 700 pounds for decent i7 and new motherboard

27. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

28. toodoo9011

toodoo9011 Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds