1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gun Safety

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

As a few of you know, I am a gun owner. And I thought that if many of you are not, some gun safety info might be in order, if you are at a friend's house who has a gun, or if you encounter one in the wild.

Let's get 2 terms defined. ND, and AD. That is Negligent Discharge, and Accidental Discharge. ND is due to operator error. And AD is due to a gun malfunction. If you have an AD, fix your gun, or go to a Gunsmith, and pay to have it fixed.

A modern firearm cannot simply 'go off'. They require a human to shoot. Now, I live alone, no kids, few visitors that I screen. So, I can leave loaded guns around. YMMV. If you have kids, get a gun safe. Be proactive in how you keep your guns. Most gun accidents are caused by ND. Meaning someone was not being safe. Kids and loaded guns don't mix. Use your noggin. :major

Here is a link for some rules. Honestly, if you follow these rules, you will never have an ND, and if you do, you will just wind up with a hole in a wall. You must follow them by the letter.

Be safe in whatever you do. ;)
  2. sibeer

sibeer MajorGeek

I think this situation falls under "Know your target and what is beyond".
    Probably thirty five years ago my wife's cousin was out hunting with his dad and uncle. I think he was twelve. His dad was scoped on an elk and was waiting for it to move from the trees. When it did, the kid who for some reason was crouched down in front of the adults, got excited and jumped up... just when his dad squeezed the trigger. He was hit in the back of the head and died almost instantly. I remember the family was devistated, and as you would expect they never got over it.
    Hind sight is 20/20.
  3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

That is sad. If a child was crouched in front of him, the gun was not pointed in a safe direction. Very sad to hear about something like that. And hard to be aware of what is close to you when looking through a scope. Nothing should be inbetween you and your target that you do not mind putting a hole in.
  4. silas

silas MajorGeek

friend and i use to shoot back in hs. little 22. half day of school so obviously video game time with a total of 4. i sat in game chair on ground. got up to pick bud up. another friend sat down in my chair. 5 min later friends all looking for me. saying

Blank. got shot. we live in quite town. i rush there. and see ambulance leaving. then my other bf in cop car. he was cleaning gun and stood up to put into case. it went off. then went through chair i was in 5 min b4 that happen. we all bfs still. but he

But the one who got shot. made hole in lung and barely miss spine and heart. he died twice. but they brought him back. he missing lung tho.
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 11, 2012
  5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

"encounter one in the wild"? rolleyes
    Do they run solo or in packs? :confused
    If solo, I would probably try to coax it close and try to tame it. ;):wave

Sorry. Little humor for a very serious topic.
    Was trained in firearm safety before I even went into the Army.
    Always know what is downrange from you.
    Always assume that there is a round in the chamber, and act accordingly.
  6. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I have seen them by themselves and in packs. Mine seem to run in packs. And the pack expands... I can't stop it. :-D

I put the 'gun in the wild' part in, just in case someone on the forum came across a gun, and had no experience with them. :-D
  7. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

While I personally don't care for guns, they don't particularly frighten me. They don't shoot people unless other people make them do it. So a gun in the hands of a person I don't know makes me nervous, unless of course that person is wearing a uniform that clearly indicates they've been trained in gun safety.
  8. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

What does the uniform do? :-D

:-D:-D Someone missed training day.

I have to say, that man kept his cool. He was trained in that. But, he got Glocked. Trigger finger off the trigger when you holster...
  9. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Apparently it lulls innocent by-standers into a false sense of security... :p
  10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

And that is why I made this thread. He did not follow some gun safety rules. The gun was pointed accidentally in a safe direction. Nobody got hurt but the speaker.

He did fail, 'keep your finger off the trigger'. I do have to give props to that officer, I think he was shot in the foot, but checked on the kids first. I bet he never makes that mistake again. And also why I started this thread, cause evidently all of you were not raised up having guns. :major
  11. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

'Instant death'. Hmm, like the car you drive? Like a kid in a pool or pond? Can you show me 50 cases where someone used a legally concealed weapon to shoot someone illegally? Thread drift is fine with me, but if you want to debate the 2A, perhaps another forum would be more appropriate. ;)

32,885 people were killed in auto accidents in 2010. Maybe you worry about the wrong things. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_motor_vehicle_deaths_in_U.S._by_year :cool
  12. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

Obviously they weren't "well trained" then, were they??

Having owned guns for over 30 years also raising kids thru most of those years (and untold years of carpentry work) no accidents here & all my appendages are intact as are my kids' :major
  13. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

They have some strange slants on fire arms here in Belgium.
    As long as you have a license for short arms you may carry it concealed or open but a rifle must be carried in a case unless in a safe environment (thats how they word it) a shotgun must be carried broken at all times when not in use.
    I have just had my license revoked because i have not renewed it for 5 years due to my disability and have donated my 9mm Browning to the local gun club.
  14. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

But you still go to a doctor who "practices" medicine?
    I prefer someone that doesn't have to practice.
    Been around firearms a long time.
    Only things I have ever shot was what I intended to hit.
    No accidents or unintentional misfires.
    No unwanted casualties.
  15. shnerdly

shnerdly MajorGeek

On a percentage basis, the number of people you choose to call "stupid" are an extreme minority when you consider the total number of people that own and carry guns and don't "screw up". So based on an extreme minoritys inability to handle a gun safely despite their training we should treat everyone as "stupid"?

I do carry a gun when I feel the need but believe me, there is nothing casual about it. When that gun is not in my physical possession, it's NOT loaded. In fact it's kept in a locked box on a high shelf in a closet and the clip is not with it. I would be afraid of someone finding it in a drawer and being able to use it against me or worse yet one of my Grandkids might find it. If your gun is sitting in a drawer, loaded, it is an accident waiting to happen.
  16. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Now THAT is gun "safety"
  17. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Glad that you don't hunt with me?
    I'm just as glad not to have somebody so uncaring about keeping a loaded weapon someplace where a child can reach it as a neighbor.
    Best study your own "safety" practices before you start condemning others.
  18. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

Here again, that's not "well trained", I think a better term would be well taught. I spent almost 20 yrs as a contractor, 30 yrs. as a gun owner, well taught people don't have "stupid moments" when it comes to life threatening situations, be it a power tool or a gun. I think this goes back to your anti carry stance actually although I may be wrong. Think about it, well trained or taught is just that, those that screw up haven't been well trained or taught obviously (IMO).

I keep a loaded gun in my house at all times, I also have a child in the house that has been taught the importance of gun safety. I have had him handle the gun & taught him the usage & principles of the guns I have, I did the same thing with my now adult child, they have both been "well taught" and not lectured on the subject. I remember going to high school & kids having gun racks in their pickups WITH guns in them & no one ever got shot there. Then again, those were simpler times to say the least.
  19. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

And,gloozit, you obviously haven't read all posts.
    Primarily where I stated that you should "Always assume there is a round in the chamber and act accordingly".(post 6)
    Not a tip?
  20. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

And that remark about preferring somebody that doesn't have to practice (post 18) was about Doctors in the first line, which was conveniently left off of the quote in post 21.

Last I will be in this thread.
    Feeling like an ICBM ready for launch.