Gun Safety

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Fred_G, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

Yea, but you La. people are a little different anyway LOL

Just sayin' LOL

2. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Makes the phrase "nice gun" kinda iffy does it not? :-D

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Hunt however you want. I will have the safety on until ready to shoot. I have killed a decent amount of the bird of peace in the past. Safety on that gun is right next to the trigger, hit the safety with your trigger finger's first joint, then shoot. Is not hard. Hard part will be me hitting moving critters. Been shooting stationary targets for a while. ;)

Usually have the safety off right before the gun is shouldered.

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Gloozit, we been over this... Layered approach to gun safety! Safety on, gun pointed in a safe direction, finger off the trigger... Never rely on just one part of the layered system. ;)

And is dove hunting. If they do it in Texas like I used to here, you don't walk around. Pick a position in a field by some cover, and wait for the bird of peace to fly over.

5. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

I prefer a bolt-action shotgun when hunting. Not only is the safety a more effective trigger block, preventing it from tripping the hammer, but by popping open the bolt, it's easy to render it very quickly unfireable, because the bolt rotates around and prevents even an unsafed trigger from firing.

Plus the position of the thumb safety means I can get it with a glove and not have to disrupt my aim to find the safety.

6. jimi

jimi Private E-2

1000's
    doubt it, i'm 51, but learned gun safety from my dad & that elementary school class we had to take, kinda rural where i grew up. sorry i'd never hunt pheasants with ya. you keep the safety on until ready to pull that trigger, heck most the time i walk with my side by side cracked open and i still have time to snap it shut, thumb the safety to off, and get off a shot

7. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Bolt action shotgun. Interesting. I have heard of them. Ever used the 'safety' on a Mosin Nagant?

8. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

No, but I looked it up and it seems a touch silly.

The one I've got is a Mossberg 173C in .410 which is technically a youth model, but I'm in a brushy area and I use it for rabbits and occasionally blasting possums bothering the chickens. Easier to bring it to bear in a barn or heavy brush than a full-size gun.

Plus the safety is easier to find with a gloved thumb and quieter if I'm sneaking up on something. It's only single shot though. I'd like one with a magazine, just for possums.

9. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

In Soviet Russia, safety sets you.:-D I like the safety on the Mauser. I am not sure how good it is internally, and of course we never rely on the safety, but it seems to be a very effective battle safety.

10. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

11. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Here in West Virginia, dogs are an alarm system.
    When they go off, protection gets brought out.

12. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Gloozit, a couple of my shooting buds from Texas just got back from the FS course, they were very impressed. Defiantly going to try to make one of those classes. People in their class ranged from people who had never fired a gun before, to current LEO and current and ex military, to just shooters.

Apparently there was a ND at that course. Person violated 2 of the main rules. Pointed the gun at something they did not want to shoot, had their finger on the trigger before the gun was on target, and they shot therself in the the leg.

13. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

The only time a safety is any good is if the gun is unloaded. Even so I treat all guns as instantly ready to fire at the pull of a trigger. Even a dissassembled one.

14. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I disagree Triaxx. While I would never rely on just the safety, it is an additional measure that helps prevent a ND.

15. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Even so I've heard stories of safeties failing so I presume any gun, safetied or not is going to discharge at any moment. Does it prevent it, of course, not, but it means I never forget to be safe with the gun. Which is ultimately the point of gun safety anyway.

Though like gun control, both hands is the best safety you can use.

16. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Thus the layered approach to gun safety. The safety, if the gun has one, can add one more layer. None of the layers by themselves are foolproof.

17. Serious Sam

Serious Sam Corporal

my idea of gun safety :D

Attached Files:

18. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I like that picture. Too many AR type guns for me. Two or 3 AR-15's is enough. I am liking the old WWII battle rifles these days. Reach out and touch a target, with open sights. :-D

19. mmoreoften

mmoreoften Private E-2

lol That is pretty common in some other places of this planet, not just WV.
    However, dog is the most reliable alarm system, even better than camera system. :cool

20. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Here is a good reason for knowing your target.

550332_302126686527139_127583850648091_741926_177155122_n.jpg

21. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

You have to have pretty deep pockets for a Garand these days. But it is on my list of guns to own. I have shot one. Don't think I could see the target at 1000 yards. :-D I am doing good to shoot 100 yards open sights. One day I will have a Garand, M1 carbine, Lee Enfield rifle, and a Mosin Nagant M44 to round out my WWII collection. One day... ;)

I like the article you posted. Like they say, 'when seconds count, the police are only minutes away'.

22. shooter

shooter Private First Class

23. Caliban

Caliban I don't need no steenkin' title!

My old man always talks about the Garand he used in the Marines during late WWII and a couple of years after.

Disparagingly: he has small hands, says the bottom of his hand would always get caught somehow operating the bolt and receiver, pinching the hell out of his hand...

Admiringly: he liked it much better than the Springfield '03 he went through basic at Parris Island with. He says you could use the Garand as a tent pole, shovel, lever, battering ram, etc. - and still put a hole through 2 inches of oak @ 1000 yards. :major

24. Triaxx2

Triaxx2 MajorGeek

Patton didn't say: 'Greatest Battle Implement ever devised' for no good reason.

25. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

The M1 was an excellent weapon (we had about 20 of these in the amoury for the rifle team)and at 2800 fps muzzle velocity was very accurate at long range,the only drawback we found was that because the cocking mechanism did not fold in flush with the side of the weapon it had a tendency to get caught in your webbing if carried in the left hand, we also had a variation of it built by Belgian Fabrique Nationale that fired 7.62 ammo but the muzzle velocity was a bit lower at 1760 fps it was still a very accurate rifle up to 750 yards (how close do you want the enemy to be) we also had a higher grain ammo that could up the fps to 2200.
    For 1000 yard shoots we used the Lee Enfield .303 and that over battle sights.
    One problem with the lee was that it did not have a recoil spring in the stock so you took the full force on your cheek and i remember when we were working up for the inter forces competition i had a blue swollen cheek for weeks as we were throwing about 200 round per day down the range.
    Later on in my service i got my hands on a custom made Karl Gustav target rifle that was also 7.62 but high power ammo made it impressive up to 1200 yards and with the same sights as the M1 it was easy to adjust for height and windage.

26. Nedlamar

Nedlamar MajorGeek

Interesting input Bill, for some reason I really enjoyed reading that.

27. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

I may have a really good deal on a M1 Carbine. We shall see. :-D

This gun is on my list of guns to own. Really want a Garand, but...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds