Hangs durning booting w/ additional serial port card

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by videobruce, Sep 19, 2008.

1. videobruce

videobruce Private E-2

I wasn't sure where to put this.

The MB (Foxconn N570SM2AA0 already has a serial port built in. I was having issues with the XP driver (nothing else available), so I purchased a PCIe serial port card and installed it. I did disable the on board port first.

I have two bootable drives and this happens with the orginal drive and the 2nd drive that I reloaded the O/S after I added the card. The O/S hangs 45 seconds, then continues to boot. I'm sure it's this serial card. Again this is with or w/o the driver installed running XP Pro w/sp2

The other possible related issue is com ports 1 & 2 are not available with the on board port disabled. Where in the registry can I regain these port numbers?

Hope this made sense.

2. videobruce

videobruce Private E-2

Ok, I uninstalled the drivers, removed the card then rebooted. No change.
    I disabled the 2nd SATA channels and the ethernet and firewire ports and still no change.

It still hangs on the "Windows is starting up" screen for 45 seconds.

Any ideas

3. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Normally I would say that you have introduced an unintentional resource conflict with you new serial card.
    By this I mean Windows is having trouble allocating IRQ or DMA or just mapped memory to the card because something else is already using that resource.

In Device Manager you will find alternative settings for these for the card.
    Make sure the BIOS has released these for the slot concerned.

However you mentioned that you installed the card because of similar (?) issues with the existing port.

There is a possibility that the mapped memory is (becoming) duff so you will need to find a way to check this. Software memory exercisers (memtest etc) are not very good at pointing to this kind of fault, substitution or swapping modules around is better. It may simply go away by reseating the modules.

4. videobruce

videobruce Private E-2

With the card removed and everything disabled except for SATA1, if any of the above was a issue, why would it be a issue now?

5. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Did you test your memory?

6. videobruce

videobruce Private E-2

No. Why would that have anything to do with this? :confused

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Funny I distinctly remember explaining this in post#3.

8. videobruce

videobruce Private E-2

Sorry, I overlooked that (as most do by not reading the whole response). I did two different tests on the memory, both showed ok.
    Why would reseating the memory have anything to do with "memory mapping"?
    Are you saying sections of the memory are not available for use?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2008

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds