hangs on reboot

Discussion in 'Software' started by thesmokingun, Jan 6, 2008.

1. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

I have reinstalled win xp pro not that long ago, and i have noticed that my computer will not reboot. I don't turn it off very often so im not sure how long this has been going on. It just goes to the "windows is shutting down" screen, and sits there, with intermittent hd blips. any suggestions?
    i ran Ccleaner's registry fix, and it didn't work. Im thinking something is loaded and wont shut down, but im not sure. I have a couple of programs running, windows active sync for my pocket pc, and an hp program for my printer, im thinking it's one of these two. Ive tried to shut down each of these programs, then rebooting, but it still does it, so maybe that's not it.

2. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Close all programs so you just have the desktop

What does task manager show?

You can get more information by downloading one odf the process explorer type programs from Major Geeks

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Do I understand that it will not do two things: reboot and shutdown?

4. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

neither, when i select shut down or reboot, its sits at the "windows is shutting down" screen

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

You need to do what studiot asked.

6. thesmokingun

thesmokingun MajorGeek

ok, sorry for the late response, i have attached a file from spybot for running processes. thanks again for any help. I have gone through and tried to end some of the processes, but i still get the same result. I will try and close any programs running, including a/v if i can, and will try again.

Attached Files:

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

My suspicion is on Tea Timer. Spybot is more reliable without it.

Having said that I did say close down all progrmas to a standard desktop and list what's left running. Your list is rather longer than that.

I have recently noticed Adobe Acrobat failing to terminate after use, particular by IE, and causing delayed shut down of quite a few pcs.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds