Happy day! But a question from ignorance!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BubbaEuler, Mar 28, 2014.

1. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

Dear Sirs:

Acer 5517; M$ Windows 7 Home Premium x64; 250 GB HHD; 3 GB RAM.

I have been given a fully licensed and register-able Windows 7 Enterprise edition on CD. I attempted an Upgrade. The Windows Compatibility Report said that I needed a clean install. OK!

I want to re-format the HHD. Can this be accomplished while it is still located as the C: drive in the computer? It's a new drive (Western Digital) and don't need a new drive.

Please lead me to instructions I can follow to the letter and get this done with the least amount of hassles. Ha!

2. Oldphil

Oldphil Sergeant

It is obviously the best MS 7 platform but do you really need it? You may find the need for more ram as it uses more resources, do you run a large business?

3. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

Let's see now. I am GIVEN a legal Windows 7 Enterprise. (LEGAL) I'm asking how to properly re-format my Hard Drive to accomplish a clean install and you are questioning my need for such exemplary software?

Both a tangent and superfluous.

Does anyone else have a link to instructions as to properly re-format C:/ ?

Thank you very much, in advance.

4. yabba333

yabba333 Private E-2

hello BubbaEuler,

you could try booting to the disk,
    then select install now,
    select custom install,
    this will show the partitions of your C: drive,
    simple delete the primary (keep the smaller partition if you want to be able to revert to factory OS etc)
    create a new partition with the remaining space,
    and continue and it will do a clean install of Windows 7.

hope this helps, if you need help on booting to the disk let me know

yabba333

5. BubbaEuler

BubbaEuler Private E-2

Yabba333: That looks like that could be the answer for which I'm searching. Just do a simple "boot" from the Windows 7 Enterprise disc and choose custom install. I don't believe I would need the 10 MB partition, that is part of the original Win7 HP install. Do you?

Just a clean install and go from there. ?

Just this morning I found IObit's PCTransfer program on MajorGeek.com. Used it with ease! Even copied the Google Chrome settings and passwords (I hope!) to a USB 8 GB drive.

Since the HDD is so new, a clean install would seem to be the best solution. Thank you for your knowledge and information to me. If you think of anything else, please let me know and I'll apply it, as well.

Bubba Euler

6. yabba333

yabba333 Private E-2

Keeping the 10mb is down to you, as sometimes the manufacturer may put certain programs in there.

You may also want to download all the relevant drivers for you PC prior to switching as there is no guarantee it will auto-install them after install is complete. i have experienced a few times the network card drivers not auto-installing and having to find them through other means.

:) and your welcome

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds