Hard disk not recognised and becomes "dynamic"?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by cainester, Oct 14, 2006.

1. cainester

cainester Private E-2

I unplugged my harddisk because I had to take out my motherboard to install something new. After I plugged everything back in, and going into windows the drive has gone missing?

In the POST screen and in Bios, the drive is detected, and inside Windows -> Computer Management -> Disk Management the drive can be seen as a "Dynamic Drive" and it says it is unreadable?? :confused:

I am confused about what has happen and how I could get my drive back onto Windows?

Thanks in advance for any help....

2. erikske

erikske Sergeant

What exactly did you install that had you to take out the mobo?

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Go back to Disk management and allocate it a letter.

4. happyrock

happyrock Private E-2

if you changed the mobo itself ...you will have to reinstall windows

5. cainester

cainester Private E-2

Actually I only installed a new chipset heatsink cos the original one was a bit too hot for my liking....so I had to unplug everything and go to the back of the mobo to remove those heatsink pins....

So there should not be any change to the 'system' especially the hard disk??

I tried to go into disk management to see what I could do to it to recover it, it still recognises it, but it says it is unreadable and became dynamic on its own....so I could not even assign a drive letter to it

Also I tried yesterday to use some data recovery software to recover the partition (only 1 partition for the entire drive, it is a WD1600JB), but it seemed like I had to copy the recovered files to another disk and reformat/repartition the entire unreadable disk....which is going to be a lot of trouble

Do you guys know of any good data recovery software that can directly recover lost partitions?

Thanks again.

6. happyrock

happyrock Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds