Hard Disk or Solid State for a system drive ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mjnc, Oct 23, 2013.

1. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

I'm collecting parts for a PC build and wondering about the pros and cons of using a solid state drive or a hard
    drive for the operating system, programs and user data.
    I'll have a second hard disk for backups, images, downloads and large media files.

Would 120GB be large enough with Windows 7 ?

With something like an Intel Core i3-3240 Ivy Bridge 3.4GHz processor for a home/office PC, do the advantages of
    an SSD out weigh the disadvantages of smaller capacity and greater cost ?

The hard drive(s)
    Western Digital Black 500GB

Possible SSD
    Kingston SSDNow V300 120GB

Thanks.

edit:
    The above links are not working, but they are correct.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

A 120GB drive would be plenty of space for Windows and several programs. You just have to be sure that downloaded files, music, etc. save to the standard drive or the SSD will fill up quickly.

Whatever you load Windows and your software on, I would still make a system image backup to make your life easier if/when the drive crashes.

Hope this helps. :)

3. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Agree with all Gman said, and I would get this one - Samsung is the Gold Standard of SSDS.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Series-120GB-internal-MZ-7TD120BW/dp/B009NHAF06

I've got one with the same gbs and keep it half full - rest of info on other hdds. ( i have Windows 7)

Make an image of your SSD (OS, programs,updates)
    Some suggestions:

If you purchase a Seagate, WD or Maxtor, you can get the Acronis Trueimage software (free) and make an image of your OS and

put it on your external hdd.

If you need to recover your OS ( including programs, updates, etc) you can do it with a few clicks.

You can also use Easeus for free and any hdd will work.

Seagate - http://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/discwizard/

WD - http://support.wdc.com/product/downloaddetail.asp?swid=119&wdc_lang=en

Easeus - http://www.filehorse.com/download-easeus-todo-backup/

I always make 2 backups - on two different hdds in case of failure.

Good luck.;)

I see you have a WD HDD - you could use that for image and get the Trueimage for free.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  4. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

120-128GB is enough for many users, 256GB is faster and should be the preferred option where a single disk is required.

Quality, reliable brands/models are preferred, don't get fooled by all the reviews of the 'fastest' SSDs.

Top brands include Intel, Samsung, Crucial, Plextor and Kingston, imo; go for the Pro range for a heavy use single drive solution or where very heavy usage is envisaged. If it ain't got a 3-5 year warranty, forget it! Try to keep 25%+ free space to keep it fast long-term, filling it will bog it down pretty quick.

Biggest advantage of an SSD = time saving/productivity enhancement, no time/thoughts lost staring out of the window while waiting for a program to start. Even on a SATA 2 connection, the difference is amazing.

My latest acquisition was a Kingston HyperX with transfer kit at a great price.

5. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

@mjnc:

Another reason to do backups ( I create a new image weekly) is getting hit with a virus.

I got hit with the FBI Moneypak virus last week and the computer is totally locked up.

After inserting my Trueimage boot cd and a few clicks, I was back in business in less than 15 minutes.

No going through multitudes of Malware removal processes.

(No offense intended to the Malware experts);)

6. mjnc

mjnc MajorGeek

Thanks for the replies.

The Samsung 840 will be discontinued and is being replaced with the 840 EVO (evolution).
    The Samsung 840 Pro will remain the top performer.
    The performance differences are slight.

Thanks satrow. Your comments and suggestions agree with what I have been reading.

The top choices are either the more expensive Samsung 840 Pro or the Samsung 840 EVO.
    The primary difference is the expected lifespan and durability of the drive. I'm not sure if it's worth the extra $33 cost?
    That is almost double the cost of the WD Black 500GB HDD.

The warranty period for the 840 EVO is 3 years and the 840 Pro is 5 years.
    The EVO uses TLC memory components and the Pro uses MLC memory components.

@satrow
    The Kingston HyperX 3K uses MLC memory like the 840 Pro and carries a 3 year warranty.
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820239045

Judging from my Windows XP machine, I should not use more than half of the 120GB capacity.
    My XP C: drive has only 20.7 gigabytes used, which includes 1.5GB hiberfil.sys and 11GB for the \WINDOWS folder.
    Windows 7 64-bit installation uses about 20 gigabytes and 16 GB for the 32-bit version.

Comments ?

AnandTech | Samsung SSD 840 EVO Review
    Tom's Hardware: Samsung's 840 Was Good; The 840 EVO Is Better

@PSCO2007
    Thanks for the backup suggestions and the Acronis WD edition tip. I'll handle that the same as with my XP machine.
    I have a backup partition on the second internal hard drive.
    I use Karen's Replicator for file backups and Macrium Reflect Free for image backups.

======
    EDIT:
    Why are the newegg.com links not working?

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

If you are planning on storing documents in the Cloud, whether it is a NAS on your LAN, or off your LAN, on the Internet, you can get by with a 64gb SSD. If you plan on using the system for gaming, etc., then I would probably go with a 240gb.

I use a Crucial M500 240GB SSD on my Toshiba Satellite C850D, and have had no issues using it with Windows 8. I did find that the machine ran faster with Windows 7 on the SSD, vs. Windows 8.

8. 10garem

10garem Private E-2

mjnc ? Would 120GB be large enough with Windows 7 ?

This is ? I had been asking myself. With cost of ssd and not knowing size I would need or get by with, I decided buy 50gb at cost $50 to try out.

1st let me say after using ssd for short time. I now think it is the only way to go - it is Awesome for OS & programs.

i7 / msi MB / gb video card / 750gb storage installed 50gb SSD / windows 7 home 64 bit /office 7 / avs video editor and 2-3 smaller programs NO problems (so far)

Save lot needed space on SSD
    I turned off hiberfil.sys and also moved pagefile.sys to d:/ storage drive
    I have backup / repair write save on d:/ also when video editing large files I have Cache go to d:/

I have & use couple BlacX cases which I can put in / take out sata drives. I have ordered one of these with U S B 3 very impressed with speed - transfer rate.

I am back to same ? what size ssd move up to OR will I need bigger size ssd as I still do all my home business stuff on another computer.

This rig with SSD is fun to use again.

Next couple weeks will be interest

9. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds