Hard Disk Partition as Backup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by bams, Nov 28, 2009.

1. bams

bams Private E-2

Hi,

I have an Acer Aspire computer. It already has a C: Drive and a Data drive (partition).

If the computer was to stop working could I put the hard disk in another computer? Would either the C: or the D: drive retain any of their files?

Currently I have all files on the C: drive. I cant see any reason for having a separate partition for the D: drive except maybe as a backup.

Thanks for your help!

Bams

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Yep, you can see those files in another computer.

3. bams

bams Private E-2

Hi Adrynalyne

Do you see the C drive with all the program files or the DATA drive or both?

Thanks!

Bams

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

One reason for putting files on a data partition is that should the OS become totally unusable (no normal or safe mode possible) you could reinstall Windows on C: and know that your data was safe on D:.

The benefit being that when you realize that you must format your OS partition because you an find no other solution the data files are already safe and you don't have to scramble around to try and find a way to save them before reformatting.

If you have pictures, music or important documents putting them on a separate data partition makes sense since data partitions get less use and are less likely to have corruption problems. IMO. :)

6. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Which is why Libraries is so awesome in 7. Just simply add your backed up directories to your libraries and its like you never reinstalled.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds