Hard drive activity near 100% for first 20 mins W07 Lenovo

Discussion in 'Software' started by cjs56, Jan 5, 2015.

1. cjs56

cjs56 Private E-2

Working on an old Lenovo T60 laptop. It was upgraded to Windows 7 from XP some time ago. Whenever I startup, the hard drive light is a solid green for the first twenty minutes. The laptop is so slow, I can barely use the machine!

- Ran a malware check and it was negative.
    - Noticed a piece of plastic jammed into the exhaust fan port and removed it and cleaned the fan. It still runs very warm.
    - Upgraded Lenovo Think Vantage to Solutions Center. Did not seem to help so I removed it.
    - Noticed some drivers out of date and updated them.
    - Deleted startup tasks for Google and Adobe Updater.
    - Disabled Task Scheduler items for Google, etc.
    - Ran a chkdsk that said the file system is clean.
    - Re-installed Microsoft Security Essentials.

Any ideas as what to try next?

Lenovo T60, T2400, 1gb Ram, 60gb hd, Windows 7 Pro 32bit

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Open System Configuration (msconfig), click the 'Services' tab, and check the box next to 'Hide all Microsoft services'. Click on 'Status' and you'll see them in order of Running and Stopped.

Uncheck the boxes next to those you don't need. Some may restart when you restart Windows, therefore it's better to set them to Disabled or Manual using 'Services'.

Open Control Panel, click Administrative Tools,and bouble-click 'Services'. Double-clicking any service will show more info about that service.

Also, you need to increase the RAM. I use Windows 7 Ultimate and having just 3 tabs open in Internet Explorer slowed down the PC to a crawl with just 1 GB Ram.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds