Hard drive changed to raw format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Founce, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Founce

Founce Private E-2

I was trying to change a partion on an external hard drive and some how by mistake changed my backup hard drive to a raw drive and could not go to drive without it wanting to format.

Well I thought it was recovering and changing my drive and data back to the normal setting but actually reformatted the drive.

is there a way to get my data back. I unplugged the drive so no new data was written to the drive!

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

3. Founce

Founce Private E-2

I'm not sure this gonna work. It was changed to a raw state then formated back to NTFS. I would just like to recover my data that was on the drive before it was changed to raw format if possible?

4. tgell

Give the programs a try. It's about the best you can do other than spending a very large amount of money to have the data recovered professionally.

Minitools Power Data Recovery

How to recover data from formatted partition

Easeus Data Recovery

Do not use the unformat command in DOS. Only use Easeus's automatic method.

How to unformat files from formatted partition with unformat software?
    I would let PhotoRec try scanning your disk first. It may find your files.

5. Founce

Founce Private E-2

Mini Tools didn't find hardly anything 43 files on a 1 TB drive and they were junk files.
    Not really sure what to do?
    Thank You for your help!!

6. tgell

Try the demo of Easeus Data Recovery or PhotoRec. If those do not find anything, then the only other option is professional recovery and that is very expensive.

7. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

Hi tgell and flounce,

This is a long shot but before giving up you might try Minitools Partititon Wizard Home and try the partition recovery option. http://www.partitionwizard.com/help/partition-recovery.html

It doesn't sound like you will have much luck since powerdatarecovery didn't find the files but I would give it a quick go before giving up. Use the Full Disk and Full scan option rather than the quick option. It should only take hlaf an hour or so even on a 1TB drive. If it finds any partitions that have used space, as in pic #4, you can double click the partition listing to open an Explorer tree that would show any files it finds. If the files match up to the ones you are missing then you have a good chance at getting them back. It all depends on what exactly was done during your original partitioning operations that formatted the drive.

8. Founce

Founce Private E-2

I tried Minitools Partititon Wizard but no luck. Thank you for your help!

9. tgell

Did Easeus or PhotoRec see any of the files?

10. Founce

Founce Private E-2

Niether Easeus or PhotoRec found any of my files. So I guess I'm gonna just quit and just start over.

Thank You for your help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds