Hard drive check using CHK DSK

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mark2spark, Apr 7, 2013.

1. Mark2spark

Mark2spark Private E-2

Hi, I've been having some probs for a while now with my PC (I've got two and I'm on the other one now).
    It's HP Pavilion tower running Vista.
    Done all the normal things, registry clean, diminished start up progs etc etc, malware/spyware checks, so figured it's more than likely a hardware prob, so have started checking things with diagnosic tools / progs. Memory checks out ok.
    So have commenced CHK DSK check on the hard drive, it's got up to 4 of 5 checks, has a couple of lines of info after that, (replaced bad clusters in a document) but it's now frozen (seemingly) it's been about 4 hours now.

My question is, is it still running? Or has it reached a point where it's frozen itself out? There's no light on the PC flashing to indicate it's still running, neither is the fan on. It doesn't feel overly hot.
    I can't do anything with it unless I do a force restart. Screen is showing the testing text, no screen saver working, no mouse arrow. No flashing next figure icon like when you are using 'rin'.
    Cheers,
    Mark

2. Mark2spark

Mark2spark Private E-2

I mean when using 'run', sorry someone interrupted me.

I also mean that it's 'achieved' four out of the five scheduled checks so far. At least that's what the message displays.

3. falconattack

falconattack Command Sergeant Major

Hi my friend , do you know the manufacturer of your hdd ? Can you go into bios pressing esc , F2 ? During start up in black screen showing you which is the key to enter the bios :wave

4. Mark2spark

Mark2spark Private E-2

Hi, well I've since restarted the PC by force start, I left it over 6 hours and nothing appeared to be happening.
    On the restart, it went to go into CHK DSK mode again, but I pressed 'any button' before the time out, therefore the PC went into start mode.
    It appears to be better so far, but I was just going to start a few checks before restarting again.
    Going into C/ and properties, and Hardware, it appears to list
    WDC WD32 00AAJS-65VWA SCSI Disk
    as the main drive. Don't know if that helps?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds