Hard Drive Cloning Advice Needed

Discussion in 'Software' started by Killingjoke, Jan 12, 2008.

1. Killingjoke

Killingjoke Private E-2

Hi,Does anyone know of a free(If possible!) Software package that will allow me to copy over/clone a complete copy of HDD,(as in a completely bootable image),The only hitch being I want to copy from a Static,IDE,Hard Drive, onto either USB External HDD.Is this even possible?.Or what about if I connected my laptop to the pc, could it then be done,perhaps through some sort of networked? connection?.How would I go about that?.Thanks for any help you can give..Geek On

2. dlb

dlb MajorGeek

3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Your laptop and pc use completely different hardware so it is a very bad idea to try and clone one hard drive to a different computer's hard drive.

Do you wish to replace the hard drive in either your pc or your laptop? If so and you buy a new hard drive for a desktop, usually the manufacturer offers free software that will clone your old hard drive to the new one so you can swap out the old for the new.

4. cr.Gena

cr.Gena Private First Class

plodr is right, windows installed on one machine, won't work on a new hardware.
    maybe true image workstation can restore windows to a different hardware. It has a universal restore feature that finds proper drivers for new machine.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds