Hard Drive Connection Type Basic Question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wilfordbrimley, Jan 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wilfordbrimley

wilfordbrimley Private E-2

I have a dead laptop (power issues) and have since got a new one. I'm trying to get the old laptop hard drive hooked up in an enclosure, but I can't figure out what the connection type is. It is labeled as ATA/IDE, but the enclosure I bought has the typical 40 individual pin receptor.
    My hard drive is a 2.5" labtop drive with one thin plastic thing with 22 "pins" on either side.
    I've been looking around on the internet for a while now with no luck, I just want to know what to call this connection so I can buy the appropriate enclosure or some other way to connect it to USB.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yBEvI2Y15e8Mu0cjGLjJSg?feat=directlink
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/caaYzLU_jQM9JhEhZSwkvg?feat=directlink
    http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/NA62ruVmx6fC_NzUlTs2WA?feat=directlink
    EDIT:couldn't get these pics to link correctly from picasa, sorry

Thanks for any help

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  2. Puppywunder58

Puppywunder58 Master Sergeant

3. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

4. wilfordbrimley

I appreciate the response, that said, I'm not sure either of those are what I'm looking for. Though they don't have great pictures I assume they're for these kind of 44 pin IDE adapters, configured like so:
    [​IMG]
    Mine is 22 flat pins on either side of a piece of plastic, I can't even find a similar picture online except the ones I took of mine. This head on view shows it best, though still poorly:
    [​IMG]
    I'm hoping this problem is because it has a name I'm unaware of, not because it's exceedingly rare.
    I'm guessing it is some version of the 44 pin IDE, but maybe it has a name or something identifiable I can use to find it.
    Thanks again.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  5. jlphlp

jlphlp Master Sergeant

Hi Wilford,

It the external enclosure is for an 2 1/2" Laptop IDE drive it should fit what you have. The enclosure will be very little larger than the drive. Some drives have strange adaptors plugged on the pins, but your's does not seem to have anything added per your photos.

Good Luck, Jim

6. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

The "flat" pins on your old hard drive actually are/is an adapter. Pull it off carefully (straight as possible) and put it on the new drive.

7. wilfordbrimley

Thanks Jerkyking,
    It was in fact just a little adapter on top of the regular laptop IDE connection. It's a little tricky to remove carefully, as it's stuck on there pretty tight, but I got it. Works just fine in my enclosure now.
    Thanks again.

8. Jerkyking

Jerkyking Sergeant Major

No problem. Just replaced a laptop hard drive this week (first one), thought I bought the wrong one at first.

9. wilfordbrimley

Just another useful point for anyone else trying to put their laptop hard drive in an enclosure:
    Your laptop hard drive may come in a supporting metal case (at least mine did) that you'll have to remove, I think it's called a Hard Drive Caddy. For example:

http://www.etech4sale.com/213146/dell-inspiron-x1507-0x1507-xps.html

Didn't cause me any problems, but it took me a second to realize why my hard drive didn't fit in my enclosure. Probably something most people around here know, but for a relative novice like myself, just something to look for.

My generalized advice, look up pictures of your drive as if you were buying it to see what it looks like without all the support things your laptop maker used. Probably applies to lots of laptop related things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds