hard drive constanly running

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by WJL24, Apr 19, 2015.

1. WJL24

WJL24 Private E-2

I have a Dell desktop running 8.1 and my hard drive seems to be continually running and the light is on or flickering. I unplugged the unit and it seemed to be ok for a day or two but went back to the same issue. What can cause that and what can I do to stop it? It slows everything down to almost unusable. I have already scanned for viruses, cleaner up files etc. :confused

2. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Open Task Manager and click the Processes tab. Click View in the menu bar and click Select Columns... Scroll down and check the boxes next to I/O Reads and I/O Writes. That will show which processes are reading from, and writing to, the hard disc.

3. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

@Eldon - you must be using W7. Task Manager is very different in W8 and Select Columns is not an option so you cannot add the I/O options. But you can see the Disk percentages a process is using.

@WJL24 - In W8 Task Manager under the Performance tab at the bottom, you can click on Open Resource Monitor and from there, under the Disk tab, you can see Read and Write activities.

That could indicate a problem with the drive. Under System Properties for that drive, I recommend you run Error Checking. It will likely prompt you let checking run at next boot so follow the prompt to allow that, then reboot. Depending on the size of the drive, the amount of data on it, and what checking finds, this can take many hours. Just let it run until done.

4. Eldon

Eldon Major Geek Extraordinaire

Yes I do. And thanks. We'll never know why Microsoft removes helpful features.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

Actually TM in W8 provides much more information, including Disk I/O. It just may be in a different place than previous Windows versions.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds