Hard Drive dead

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SLUDGEKAT, May 15, 2013.

1. SLUDGEKAT

SLUDGEKAT Private E-2

Ok so here is the story and question. I have a laptop running windows 8 that I dropped and the monitor cracked on it. I tried plugging a monitor into the HDMI port and that worked for a little while and now that doesn't work. I have a repair warranty on it through Best Buy (yes I know don't use Best Buy. I have heard it before so don't preach at me, please). Here is my problem. I need to get the files of the computer to use for work, but I don't really want to pay best buy to extract the info. Can someone give me instructions or point me in the direction of how to access the hard drive on the laptop from another computer. I have been able to network the laptop to another computer running windows 7 via ethernet and it shows up in the newtork sharing screen but when I go to the computer screen it doesn't show the other computer. I have another laptop running windows 8 if I need to use that.

Thanks in advance,

Seth

2. gman863

gman863 MajorGeek

The best bet is to remove the hard drive from the PC, hook it to a working PC using an external connector and find the "Users" file. Initially, you may get a pop-up stating you do not have permission to access the directory. Click "continue" to allow access. You can then transfer the "My Documents," "My Pictures" etc. folders to the working PC. Make a separate folder on the working PC ("Old Files") to move them to.

The least expensive way to do this is using an external drive enclosure such as this:

http://www.directron.com/ims25satab.html

A few important notes on this:

* The procedure I've given is based on my experience with Windows 7/Vista/XP. I have not done this yet on a drive with Windows 8. If you run into issues, please reply and others who have done this with Windows 8 may have additional tips.

* Remove and reinstall the drive carefully. If the drive isn't accessible through a "trap door" on the bottom of the PC, I would leave the removal and reinstallation to an expert. If you bring the PC back to Best Buy with loose, missing or cracked pieces (other than the damage caused by dropping), they may attempt to use it as an excuse to void your warranty.

Hope this helps. :)

Last edited: May 15, 2013
  3. SLUDGEKAT

SLUDGEKAT Private E-2

thanks, it is a Samsung that is sealed on the bottom without any screws and stuff. One of the new models to look like an apple. So that is not an option. Is there a way to transfer things through two computers and a cable. Like is there a way to plug in one computer and it might be able to see the hard drive of the other computer ??? Both are laptops ????

4. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

5. SLUDGEKAT

SLUDGEKAT Private E-2

thanks for the link, only problem is that one of the laptops screen is shattered so I can't see it, was wondering if there was away to link a laptop to another one where you can see the others hard drive.

6. psco2007

psco2007 Master Sergeant

Maybe at this point, have the screen replaced by Bestbuy and you will be able to see your files.

2nd option : Use a friend's comp with your hdd in his case or an external case and xsfer the files.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds