Hard Drive Disassembly???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by AlizeProductions, Jan 11, 2005.

1. AlizeProductions

AlizeProductions Private E-2

Hello, my hard drive has been making a clicking noise and I want to take it apart to check it out. I took all the screws out but the back panel still wouldn't come off.
    Is there something else I need to do.
    I am not worried about losing the data on there or if the hard drive gets even more broken. I was just going to throw it away but figured I might as well take a look at it.

It is a western digital 160gb internal drive.

Thanks

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hard drives are vacuum sealed. If you break that seal, the drive is toast. Its not something you could repair on your own.

3. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

Yes, Adrynalyne is right, even you don't damage the drive you wouldn't be able to do anything to remedy the problem either. At the very least you would void the warranty, speaking of warranty this is a 160GB drive so it can't be that old, any chance of getting a free replacement? WD should cover replacement free of charge for at least a year I believe.

4. AlizeProductions

AlizeProductions Private E-2

sorry, the drive is a 60 gig. I know the warranty doesn't last 4 years hehe, but wouldn't that be nice. . .

5. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

What kind of clicking noise is it? I can't remember what drives it was but some of them makes a loud clicking sound once a day when they erase cache memory. I have that sound and I'm using WD, Samsung and Maxtor, can't really tell which one it is though. If it's not repeating itself very often it might just be that.

6. Turcoloco

Turcoloco MajorGeek

You could also try running WDCLEAR or some other low-level formating utility from a floppy or CD to do a low-level format which inadvertently compresses the plates a bit more together during the format process which might help since the drive is not that new... ;)

7. General Disarray

General Disarray Private E-2

Hard drives are not vacuum sealed. You can find a little "breather" hole on the top cover. But you are correct about it ruining the drive if you take the cover off. the breather holes always have filter material behind them.

Most likely you will find a label on the top with a screw under it. Feel around the label with your finger until you feel an indent under it. That will be the hidden screw.

8. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

Vacuum or no vacuum, trying to find an error with a drive would be as trying to find a needle in the pacifics... unless you're working at a factory that makes harddrives you have no chance of finding the problem, even less fix it. They don't just use a set of pliers and screwdrivers when they assemble these drives, these fine mechanics are impossible and utterly useless to try and fix yourself.

9. General Disarray

Agreed, but this person also posted on another forum saying he knew it would destroy the drive and didn't care. I think he just wants to see what's inside.

10. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

if there was any air going into the casing for the platters the drive would be done for. ANY dust gets in there and you have major problems...

[edit] let me revise this. There is already air in the casing but it's not contaminated. If any "house" air gets in there, it's over.

11. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

I agree.

12. evilevets

evilevets Sergeant Major

Two things to try before you go messing it up...

1. Bang the corner of it on a hard sureface a few times (not too hard, obviously).

2. Put it in the freezer for a few hours.

Seriously. The scond one sounds silly but was told to me by an old tech who swore by it.

Steve

13. General Disarray

No it's not vacuum sealed. You don't have to beleive me, just look at a hard drive and you will see for yourself. As for dust, there is a small piece of filter material over the hole. If you feel like getting really creative, find an old drive and dis-assemble it. you will clearly see the hole and the filter.

Actually, the drive manucatures rely on this. The heads don't touch the patters, they ride on a thin cushion of air. This would be impossible if it were in a vacumm.

Do a Google search for how hard drives work. It will show you what I'm talking about. Howstuffworks.com has a good picture of the filter and an explanation - http://computer.howstuffworks.com/hard-disk5.htm

14. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

lol

:eek:

15. ACE 256

ACE 256 MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Overclocking Expe

16. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

If there was air in the drive it would be damn so sensitive to vibrations... the arms would scratch the plates like that. Because there's vacuum you get somewhat resistance to this. That's just one thing.

17. General Disarray

It absolutly amazes me that even after people are shown cold hard proof, they still contunue to believe their own speculations are fact.

I've given you a website that shows what I am talking about. You folks can continue to believe what you want.

18. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

READ MY EDIT PLEASE..( which was posted before your post) .. it clearly states that if any dust gets in there ..etc etc.. so by him disassembling the drive.. he's effectively terminated it.

19. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

I'm not saying your webpage is wrong, just that it's strange. There are so many things talking against you I'm just not ready to through myself at your word. Nothing wrong with being suspicious. I'm not trying to take you down or anything, relax :)

20. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

no, there is a filter on there.. but what he's not understanding is the premise of the post is disassembly of the drive which , by definition, ignores the fact that there's a filter on the drive. I scratched my head for a second when I remembered that the head glides on air and the light went on again, and thus the editing of my post.

21. General Disarray

Ok, I am getting a bit passionate about this, I'll calm down. There isn't really anything stange about it though. the air is not rushing through the hole, it's just there to equalize the pressure as the hard drive heats up and cools down. The filter material is so fine that it will filter out anything that is large enough to damage the platters or the heads. this isn't the only site eithr, just do a Google for how hard drives work and you will get many sites with good info on the subject.

I absolutly agree with you. However, this person posted on another site saying he knew the consiquenses of opening the drive. I think he just wanted to see how the drive worked, not repair it.

22. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

Alright, well it seems I have to accept the fact there is a darn filter there hehe ;)

But yeah, you're right. it doesn't really matter.

23. Phatsta

Phatsta Corporal

Then we all agree! Thus ended the discussion :D

24. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

well, when you see some one say "Hard drive disassembly".. the first reaction is NOOO!!!! ..;) I actually skimmed it and caught the tension and didn't read the initial post completely. My fault.

He apparently doesn't care if the drive gets hosed.. so be it..

25. General Disarray

On a lighter note, just for giggles we once took an old drive and loaded an OS and a few programs such as Office and then removed the cover and ran it all day just to see how long it would last. It preformed just fine the first day. We left it running overnight but when we came in the next day the OS BSOD'd. We did get it running again for a while but obvioulsy it didn't last long.

26. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Well, there IS a certain kind of modification that can be made, making a window to see into the hard drive. It is a ***VERY*** difficult modification to do, but, it has been done before. It IS possible to do, though very risky and very difficult.
    here is a link:

http://www.creativemods.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=80&Itemid=39

why do I bring this up?
    think about it...
    if you really don't care about the hard drive, and you have the ability to work with things like this, you could, if you pull it off successfully, be known as the greatest hardware mod user in your neighboorhood.

27. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

Yeah, I saw on Screen Savers the modding guy did something like that. He put a clear plate on his hard drive so you could see how it worked. He's a professional and said he screwed up 2 drives trying the mod. And who knows how long the third one actually lasted. Maybe not long...

28. Kip32

Kip32 Private E-2

LMFAO

Do it again...do it again!!!!

ROTF

29. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

In defense of myself, I wasn't entirely wrong.

http://www.pctechguide.com/04disks_Construction.htm

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds