Hard Drive Failed, Need To Copy Files With Dos

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by BLANCONIAMT, Mar 15, 2005.

1. BLANCONIAMT

BLANCONIAMT Private E-2

I have a HP Media Center PC m470N
    Windows XP Media Center
    Pentium 4 with HD

I have been working with my computer for almost a month. The first time I took my computer in to the place that I bought it to have my data backed up. They mentioned at that time that my hard drive might be bad. It was a year to the day that I had bought this computer. They were supposed to backup by data and restore my computer. They told me that my hard drive was okay. So after many days in the shop, I finally get my computer back and I start getting KERNEK_STACK_INPAGE_ERRORS. I called the support people and they told me to run recovery again. Since that day which was approximately February 25th, I have run recovery program three or four times by their advice because the same error kept coming up during downloads of windows updates, etc. This past saturday I called HP the maker of my computer and they told me to run restore from the CD's that I had made when the computer was purchased. I did this and put all that stuff back on my computer slowly, not giving it too much information at one time. Well today i turned it on and it will not start start up at all. It goes to the screen which would be my wallpaper and nothing else. I can do Safe mode but no icons show up. So now they tell me now that my hard drive has failed and will be sening me a new hard drive. My question is I can get to the C: prompt and I wanted to try to copy my files off for the last 2-3 days for a backup since I had not gotten that far yet and I do not know if I am missing a step but it tells me that the system could not find the file specified.

For instance if I am at C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\"The name of my folder"... i typed in copy "file name" a: and it tells me that:
    The system cannot find the file specified.
    Error occurred while processing: "THe file name is listed here"
    The system file cannot find the file specified.
    error occurred while processing: "the rest of the file name is here"

My file names are in this format: SHARON 03-05-05.DOC

It separates the two and says the system cannot find the file specified.

Is there anyway to get into my computer to back this information up another way or can you tell me what I am doing wrong in DOS.

All I mainly need to retrieve is my word documents for the last 2-3 days.

P.S. while I am sitting here writing this to submit to you, my screen saver comes up on my HP Media Center which I am having problems with.

2. ~Pyrate~

~Pyrate~ MajorGeek

most likely you will need a tool like getdataback http://majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=2773 (that is teh NTFS version you will need the FAT version if you are using that file system) ... you need to set your problem drive as slave to your new drive then run the program ... if you are able to see your lost files then you can order a code to unlock the program for 80$(last time I checked so don't quote me) and recover your files

3. MongCoc

MongCoc Private E-2

Dos can not handel spaces in file and folder names. You may want to use a wild card such as *.

eg:

copy SHARON* a:
    this will copy any file that has a name starting with SHARON to a: drive.

or you could use 'dir' command to find the dos filename of the file you are looking for and use that in the copy command.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds