Hard Drive Failure & Data Recovery

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DeeOhGee, Mar 30, 2010.

1. DeeOhGee

DeeOhGee Private E-2

I have an old [Hitachi] TravelStar laptop hard-drive (30GB, manufactured 09/2003) that just died on me. The drive was used for external storage purposes only and originally was part of an IBM T23 laptop setup (also dead). It was making clicking sounds and now won't let WindowsXP recognize the drive contents. There aren't any critical files on the drive, but it would be nice to be able to recover some of the files.

Short of sending it out for professional recovery, is there anything I can do to try and recover the data myself?

Thanks for your help.

2. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

As the drive was clicking, other than getting an identical hard drive, and changing the discs inside, my thoughts are that the last resort trick might just do it, but it sounds a bit ludicrous ( has been used by many , and with some succes)
    Put your hard drive in an antustatic bag, wrap in a dry teatowel, and put it in the freezer overnight !
    In the morning, remove from the freezer, carefully remove the teatowel, and leave in the antistatic bag, for about 10 minutes, then remove the hard drive, and attatch to your host (another computer),and if you are lucky, and it spins up, immediately copy the files you want to the host computer/usb, whatever.
    If it works, you have only probably the one chance for it to spin up, so prepare for it (another computer/laptop/ usb drive caddy), and somewhere to save it.
    By all means try other software, but having had this problem many times, this is the last resort trick!

3. DeeOhGee

DeeOhGee Private E-2

Thanks! I'll give your suggestion a try.

4. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

Good luck- let us know how you get on.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds