Hard drive failure, no drives detected

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Hemlockbones, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Hemlockbones

Hemlockbones Private E-2

I did do a search prior to posting this.

First the specs:
    Asus 7V333 motherboard
    AMD Athlon XP 2600+
    1 meg memory
    2 hard drives divided into 2 logical drives each (Partition magic did it this way, I never figured out why)
    - drive 1 = C: and E: - Master
    - drive 2 = D: and F: - Slave
    1 cdrw drive g:
    1 dvd drive h:
    Windows XP professional

When I booted up this morning my machine ran for awhile (20 min?) then I started hearing clicking noises and the drive activity light was solid. I started the shut down process and, after clearing the desktop of icons, I got an error screen of a stack error with memory dump which told me to turn off the computer. Upon reboot, my machine stops at the POST display. I get the message 'Disk boot failure, insert system disk and press enter'. Neither of the hard drives are shown on the POST display.

Question: did both drives fail? did the controller fail? Or is it because the Master drive failed that the slave drive isn't seen?

2. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

if you heard a sound, it sounds like the drive crashed. it's the only component that has moving parts in it (except fans).

3. Hemlockbones

Hemlockbones Private E-2

Well now I'm confused. The computer booted after three restarts. Gonna make a backup NOW.

BTW, I figured that ONE of my drives had crashed, my question was why did the BIOS tell me that I had NO drives?

4. Kodo

Kodo SNATCHSQUATCH

Replace the cable while you're at it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds