Hard drive "full"

Discussion in 'Software' started by 1DietPepsiMax, Nov 16, 2008.

1. 1DietPepsiMax

1DietPepsiMax Private E-2

Ok, the hard drive on my Dell laptop with Windows XP says that's it's practically full, and I can't figure out what's taking up all the space. This is really weird.

The hard drive says it has 33 GBs of space in total, and of that only about 300 MBs of free space available. I've deleted unneeded software that I've never used or rarely used, I've deleted all unneeded files I could think of, I've run virus scans, I've run searches for every kind of file I can think of that might be stockpiled in some hidden folder somewhere, etc. But I am not making any progress. The drive hovers around 300 MBs of free space no matter what I do.

I can't for the life of me figure out what in the world can be taking up so much space. This is real frustrating. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

2. 1DietPepsiMax

Ok, last month I posted on here that my hard drive on my laptop is "full" but it shouldn't be. Here's the thread I posted on:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1240762&postcount=5

I have a Dell Inspiron 6000. It has Windows XP. It has Service Pack 2.

I followed all the directions for basic maintenance given by Mark Trent in the above listed post, but the hard drive still appears to be "full." There is only something like 400 or 500 MB of free space on a hard drive that is supposed to be 33 GB. I can't imagine what could be taking up so much space.

Any other advice? Thanks in advance for any input!

:)

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Moved the posts of yours and MarkTs relpy to this thread and moved it out of malware as its likely not malware related, reason others may have overlooked your question originally as you tagged it onto a thread from 2005 so many will think its old question.

What is the total Capacity size of the Hard Drive and the Used and Free space just for clarification? (get this infor from right click the C drive and choose Properties

Just thinking it maybe worth if you save alot of large files, music films or play games then a 2nd hard drive maybe needed now, external for laptop.

What you could do to possibly gain some space back is to if you dont use hibernation is to disable it and also flush out your System Restore points and adjust the space its uses to 5% of total hard drive.

Disable hibernation in XP

Click Control Panel > Power Options > choose Hibernate tab > Uncheck Enable Hibernation box to disable > Click OK

Flush Restore Points

First off right click your C drive and choose Properties > then Disk Cleanup > More Options tab and then Cleanup under System Restore

Right click My Computer and choose Properties, then the System Restore tab and adjust the slider to say 5%, this will likely just save a few restore points over the many it stores now.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2008
  4. tym

tym Corporal

You wanna look for a program called "ExplorerXp". Its a free program for xp that will let you see what is on your harddrive and the size of each file. Start there and see if you can not track down the issue.

5. sach2

sach2 Major Geek Extraordinaire

I like WinDirStat for looking at what is taking up space on a HD. It gives a graphical interface where each file is shown as a box. The largest blocks are the largest files, click on them to see where they are located.

Another quick tip is in My Computer click on C: and right click the Windows folder and select Properties and get its approx size and do the same for Program Files folder. Add those two together and subtract from your 33GB total to see how much room you are looking to find.

6. 1DietPepsiMax

Thank you! What a useful program, that worked. I think I have identified the primary issue using this program. Only problem now is it won't let me delete the culprit.

I found a folder called "Virus Defs," which is in the "Symantec Shared" folder, which is in the "Common Files" folder, which is in the "Program Files" folder on the C drive.

Well, this Virus Defs folder is full of dozens and dozens of folders dating back the last year and a half or so, right now totaling just over 20 GB. Maybe about 90% of those folders end in ".tmp" and most are right around 60 MB. Each one of those folders is full of a bunch of crap that I don't recognize.

Problem is, it won't let me delete anything in the Virus Defs folder. I can't delete the 20 GB Virus Defs folder as a whole, I can't delete the 60 MB .tmp folders inside it individually, I can't delete the files in the .tmp folders individually.

So, something is somehow adding another 60 MB folder to this Virus Defs folder every few days. Two questions:

1. How do I make it stop doing this?

2. How do I delete the 20 GB of crap that's already accumulated?

Thanks for any tips!!!

(For reference, the hard drive is 33.4 GB total, with 33.1 GB Used, and 309 MB Free right now.)

7. 1DietPepsiMax

WOW! That worked. Thank you very much. I now have almost 24 GB of Free Space on my hard drive.

Amazing that it was NORTON itself the whole time that was the problem.

I just hope I don't get a virus now that I've deleted Norton. I'll download that other thing you mentioned.

8. 1DietPepsiMax

Honestly, I don't know why Windows doesn't come with that automatically. It's like they want the user to be in the dark about where some files end up.

9. 1DietPepsiMax

The laptop is offline right now. I'm on my desktop reading this message board.

So when I'm ready, I'll hop online and and download what I need to the laptop and then hop back off until I get the new protection installed.

Thanks for the firewall tip.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds