Hard drive is crashing...please help retrieve files

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rtracy, Nov 7, 2013.

1. rtracy

rtracy Private E-2

I went to restart my computer today, and it would not boot. It keeps rebooting and I get the options to start in safe mode, restart at last known configuration, start windows normally, etc. None of those work. I was able to find the error HD521-2W. My computer is a Compaq Presario SR1726NX, with Windows XP. When I google the error code, it sounds like my hard drive is crashing. Is there a way I can retrieve my files before replacing the hard drive? I've backed up some of them, but not lately. Please help!

2. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Two ways to do this.
    a) Run a Linux live distro, find the files and copy them to an external hard drive plugged into the ailing computer.
    I can recommend a small (means it downloads quickly and will burn to a CS) distro that automatically will mount a USB device plugged into the ailing computer. http://www.porteus.org/

b) Remove the hard drive from the ailing computer and attach it by a USB adapter, like this http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812232002
    to a good computer. Copy the files from the ailing hard drive to the good computer.

Note: I always advise to copy rather than move files. If there is a hiccup during the process and you were moving the files, they are either gone or corrupted. If instead you select copy, the files still remain in the source and you can try copying again.

3. DOA

DOA MG's Loki

plodr has it right, I will add you can remove the hard drive and put it in another computer to copy the files. Just be sure the computer does not try to boot the bad drive.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds