Hard Drive Issues - NEED HELP PLEASE!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mvfan, Feb 14, 2007.

1. mvfan

mvfan Private E-2

Hello,

I have a Dell System running Win XP with SP2. I have recently added a 320GB HDD and want to transfer all my mp3's etc to that HDD to make room on my other system HDD. I am getting like a sound glitch after transfering files and I want to find a way for it not to happen. Only way it worked was transfering one mp3 at a time maybe a few more and that is very tedious. It wont successfully transfer a large amount of data. Below is my troubleshooting steps and I am out of ideas. PLEASE HELP. THANKS :)

Installed off of CD Drive as only cable avail

Tried cut/paste files between drives
    ---- Glitches

Reversed cut/paste between drives
    ----No issues

Reinstalled drivers for sound card and then tried again
    ---- Glitches

Reversed cut/paste between drives
    ----No issues

Tried copy/paste files between drives
    ---- Glitches

Changed HDD Cables to a 2 drive cable and connected drives together letting CD drive have its own cable

---- Glitches

Tried copy/paste files between drives in safe mode
    ---- Glitches

Turned off services and most of msconfig;
    ---- Glitches

Changed BIOS Settings in a couple of different ways
    ---- Glitches

Changed jumper settings on HDD. Does not detect drive when in SLAVE setting. Switched back to CABLE/SELECT and it detects it

Ran Scandisk, Defrag and Virus Scan and no issues present on drive

Reformatted drive and repartitioned drive several times

---- Glitches

2. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

That is very odd. When you do the copy, do you have a lot of other applications running, either in a window or in the background?

Is your system low on memory?

Does this happen even if you copy 2 files?

Do you have a CD or DVD burner? You could try burning them to disc, then copying them to the new drive, if nothing else works.

3. mvfan

mvfan Private E-2

Hello,

How ould I tell if it is low on memory? I have shut off all programs and most services and tried that and I tried it in Safe mode as well with nothing else running in bkgd. I was able to successfully move 1 file at a time but no more or less. I havent tried burning the files to CD or dl them from a server. I dont know if they would help. I do have some sound files on CD, and I will try it that way. Dont really want to do it that way, but if all else fails I guess. Better than moving 1 at a time.

4. krazykrl

krazykrl Sergeant Major

You could also try running a Scandisk on your new and existing drive.

5. mvfan

mvfan Private E-2

Already tried that...Thanks :D

6. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Have you tried the copy as a Move (hold down shift key as you drag and drop)?

7. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Since I don't know the vintage of your Dell I wonder if you are using the wrong cable for your hard drive, or that your bios may not be up to date enough for large hard drives.
    Data cables for CD/DVD drives are 40 wire recogniseable by their thicker ribs if you do not want to count them.
    Modern hard drive cables are 80 wire, recognisable by thinner ribs.

Hope this helps

Studio T

8. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

If you have a pretty full hard drive, it may be the reason it will not copy large amounts of dats, at one time.
    This sort of thing happens when trying to burn large files, like movies, as windows needs the space to hold the files while burning, perhaps , if you delete the files that you have copied, as you see them on the new drive, windows might allow you to copy more in one go, at a time.

9. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

Indeed! Which is why I suggested the move instaed of the copy. Because that then releases the disk space. :)

10. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

Good thinking Sarge!

I would be interested to hear how mvfan made out in the end

Studio T

11. baklogic

baklogic The Tinkerer

It will be interesting to see if dragging on move works,We will have to wait to see if mvfan tried .

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds