Hard Drive just died

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jokulhlaup, Dec 23, 2008.

1. jokulhlaup

jokulhlaup Private E-2

After 5 years of faithful service, my 180GB WD hard drive finally died on me; starting up initiates a continuous buzzing sound and I cannot even fully boot to Windows

But this was only one of two hard drives - the second, only a few months old, should be perfectly fine

So I'm wondering if there is any way to save the data on the second hard drive?

Would installing the same OS on a new HD let me access my old files?

And on a related note, what would be the best way to back up my data to protect against loss of data next time?

Thank you in advance

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

Yes you could install Windows onto another drive as default OS and then once installed and running OK, hook up the broken drive as a slave (if IDE) and try and recover your data, you may need to take ownership of the folders on the slave drive (guessing on OS as not mentioned)

Possible running from the new HD a data recovery program may also helo recover data, these are ok free ones to try Recuva and PC File Inspector

As for 2nd question, my trusted and best recomendation for backup of data and whole hard drives is Acronis True Image, not free but great program, some freeware backup applications here as well, not all as powerfull but some may suit you.

3. jokulhlaup

jokulhlaup Private E-2

The original operating system was Windows XP Home edition - and I no longer have the CD for that

What I do have is a Windows XP Professional CD, would that work just as well?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds