Hard drive light stays on

Discussion in 'Software' started by mgrist, May 13, 2003.

1. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

I just got done building up a computer
    2.53 ghz P4
    MSI 645E max MB
    256 2700 ddr
    80 gig Maxtor hd
    cheapy sound card? (Philips)
    64 meg Radeon grafics card
    Win 98

My hard drive light is staying on and there's BSOD every once in awhile.
    Wherre do I start to find and fix this problem??? Thanks

2. snakefoot

snakefoot Sergeant Major

If you have just built your computer then make sure that the HDD-Led-Wire is attached to the right pins on the motherboard or HDD-controller.

If you write down the error message written on the BSOD then it will give a better start off point. But if done a clean install of windows then you probably need to check for new BIOS- or Driver- updates for your motherboard, display-adapter, network-adapter, soundcard etc. And the list of check points continues here:

http://snakefoot.fateback.com/tweak/windows/tips.html#SOLVE_CONFLICT

Btw. an awful big machine to run Win98 on :D

Last edited: May 13, 2003
  3. coolguy

coolguy Private E-2

If the IDE connector (on the motherboard as well as at the back of the hard drive) is loosely fixed you could have this problem of HDD LED being continuously 'on'. Check this connection. Hopefully this should solve your problem.

4. mgrist

mgrist Private Weapons

Reading through the replys about reloading drivers etc...I said to myself "self" that cheap sound card gave you trouble before. I had bought that card for a friend and when I put it in his com. went wacko. So remembering that I took it out and deleted all files related to it and my computer works fine now, except for the network, whick I guess I'll bring up in networking.
    Thanks guys!!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds