Hard drive making moaning sounds

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by KathyM, Oct 8, 2008.

1. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Good morning - I am not sure what to do.....my hard drive makes moaning sounds then the noise gets real loud and stops. I am at a loss as to what to do...also sometimes my fan stops and then starts again. I look forward to any help I can get :) KathyM

2. okietechnician

okietechnician Private E-2

I'm guessing you can still operate the pc okay?? And are you positive the sound is coming from the HD? Lot of times the bearings will go out in the power supply fan and make a lot of racket. If it is your hard drive it could be on it's way out. I'm just guessing by the little info you provided. I would restart the pc and try to isolate exactly where the sound is coming from. The reason i say this is on my pc you can't really hear the HD too much since it is in cased in the tower. But I suppose if it was loud enough you could hear it. Try to give me additional info if possible. Have a Blessed day.

3. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

It actually sounds like it is coming from the fan. I have shut it down and sometimes I get a screaming noise. It hardly is ever quiet anymore. If in fact it is the fan....how hard is it to replace? Thanks

4. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Yes, my PC works fine.....

5. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Which fan is it? Most are easy to replace.

6. okietechnician

I hope you are definately talking about the fan from the power supply and not the fan on the processor. i'm sure you know the diffrence. Actually replacing a power supply (which has the fan in it) is pretty easy to replace. Open the case, pull loose the power connectors, and then take out the 4 screws holding it to the case. Some pc's simply have release modules instead of screws. Take it down to your pc parts retailer and tell them you want one like it. A higher wattage won't hurt a bit. Will give you extra power if you should need it. Replace exactly the way it came off. You will have no more noise. Of course safety, disconnect any 120V power going to the pc :)

7. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

With the case on if you turn it around you can see the fan in the back. Right now I have it backwards so I can keep an eye on it. Any idea how to replace it? Thanks, KathyM

8. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

My husband and I at one time did take out 4 screws and we could not get the cover off. I was afraid to force it and then have more problems than what I have now.

9. duckfeet

duckfeet Corporal

I was having all kinds of noises, and figured it was just my old hard drives: sure *sounded* like it was, and then I thought it was my CPU fan, and replaced that...I got so frustrated I even changed my cpu itself...and read something on majorgeeks about power supply units, similar to the above...and so I ordered one that was recommended on *that* thread, (and not too expensive), on Newegg.com:--the antec430--and my computer runs *so* quiet now, and a lot cooler too...amazing....

But anyway, it was very easy to replace, I just had to remember to only unscrew the screws holding the hard drive in the tower, *not* the screws holding the hard drive itself together...

and as stated: sometimes those noises are hard to pinpoint: I *have* had hard-drives go out, but it wasn't that kind of noise...

10. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

OK - I didnt even know there was 2 fans....I am comfortable taking the case off but am not sure what power connectors you are talking about. I have in the past been very careful about shutting it down so I do not get zapped :) I will wait to hear from you before I attempt anything. Thanks, K

11. okietechnician

The power plugs are polarized plastic plug modules. They will only go in one way. Also which i forgot to mention, my apologies. You will have smaller plugs going to like the hard drive, cd rom, and any other devices that requires power. You will just simply plug them back in exactly the way they came off. It's not as scary as it may seem. Smile.

12. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

I am going to try to see if I cant do something with the fan - I will hopefully be back onliine sometime this afternoon.....wish me luck :)

13. okietechnician

14. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

I can't help myself and have to make one silly joke.

My Hard drive is making moaning sounds. What did you do, marry it?

Sorry a bit of geek humour.

15. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

I like a Geek with a sense of humor!!!! :-D

16. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Ok - what I had to do is get a manual showing what is what.....now what I have to do is contact a local PC place to see if I can even get this part.....anyone know of someone good in the Voorhees, NJ area? Thanks, KathyM

17. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Ok - here is the latest update......I contacted Dell and they told me that it is the power supply.....that is the only place that I can visually see a fan. I am not sure what else it could be!!!! Where would the CPU fan be located? Arghhhh I know I can fix it myself if I just knew what exactly the problem is......looking forward to suggestions:confused

18. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

First the CPU fan would be on the motherboard and be the largest one, you may have a second smaller fan too. What I do is use an empty paper towel tube as a makeshift stethoscope, then you know for sure what it is that's making the noise. Good luck.

19. okietechnician

Like auggie said the processor fan is right on top of the processor on the motherboard. You can't miss it. The other fan is built into the power supply. So it will be one piece (power supply fan). By listening you should be able to tell where the noise is coming from. It will be easier to tell if its the processor fan by having the case open. Sometimes if you apply light pressure to the top of the case near the power supply it will momentarily stop the noise. Depending of the severity of damage. Lot of times a power supply will make a grinding sound as well if the fan bearings are wore out. Some pc's also have a secondary case fan also that helps cool the system even further. So you could have 3 fans all together.

20. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

OK - what I am going to do is shut it down and take the cover off and restart it and see if I can localize where the sound is coming from..........stay tuned!!!!!!

21. duckfeet

duckfeet Corporal

Also, once you do this, you'll be forever more comfortable working on your motherboard and all that stuff you'll be looking at...it just *seems* overwhelming at first, but it gets simpler...and on your Dell, as soon as you pop the side off, that big thing your looking at in the middle, sticking out, is your cpu fan, the cpu is underneath it, and the power unit--where the power fan is--is where your electrical chord goes in...

Best wishes...

22. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Okay here is a pic of an "average" CPU Fan (look at the pic at the bottom):

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=4&ct=image&cd=1

Here is a pic of the average PSU (Power Supply Unit) fan and the removal of the PSU:

http://www.google.com.au/imgres?img...=&sa=X&oi=image_result&resnum=1&ct=image&cd=1

BUT I will assume that you will have to pull the PSU into the case before you can remove it after you have removed the 4 mounting screws. It will be assumed that if you need to replace the PSU that you have disconnected all power firstly and then unplugged all connections from your motherboard and other hardware and then you can undo the 4 screws and remove it. Can you take some pics and post them then we can provide better advice.

23. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Dell likes to duct the CPU fan to the outside of the case on a lot of there desktop computers. Is there a green plastic housing a few inches below the PSU and at the back of the pc?

F

24. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Morning - I just wanted to update everyone that has helped me. I have researched getting the cost of the CPU fan as well as the Power supply. It is not as expensive as I thought. I will keep you posted.......Thanks everyone! I shall be back :)

25. wassimk

wassimk Private First Class

if ur still not sure...take a picutre of it, post on photobucket or imageshack and we can tell u what it is, this way u dont have to buy an unneeded fan....

26. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

ok - take a picture of the inside of the tower?

27. wassimk

no, take a picutre of the fan making noise so that we can identify it for u and tell u what it is....

28. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Now I am not really a dumb bl;onde but how the heck am I supposed to do that????? Be back later.......see my other post

29. wassimk

didnt u say u opened the the case (or tower however u call it)

turn on the pc...and listen...when u hear it... take a pic fast before it gets shy :D (it does stop sometimes in a second btw)

please tell me if this answers your question...unless it was about how to upload the picture...

30. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Ok - the cpu fan is vibrating alot and making a loud humming noise.....I looked at the fan and it is running. When I touch it it settles down a bit with the noise.....anyway, I will have to go offline as I am getting a replacement fan. Time to dig in and get this thing fixed......thanks for the help and I will be back!!!!

31. wassimk

please make sure that they sent u the thermal liquid (or plaster patch)

usually this is placed between the heatsink and cpu (how it goes, cpu on board, theral patch, heat sink, then fan)

if they made u change the heat sink, you should make sure the patch is with it (usually looks like a grey patch glued to the heat sink)

32. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Hi - I am not sure about the patch but I will certainly call and ask.....I should get my repalcement part by the end of the week......what a week!!! I will check in later....Ciao for now!!

Thanks Wass!!!!!!!!

33. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

got the heatsink (had the patch) today - i was able to take out the old one (it was gross) and just to be on the safe side I called Dell tech support and the guy freaked out on me and told me that if I was 1 degree off on putting the heatsink back on I could fry my computer.....scared the sh** out of me so I didnt finish putting it on. I know that I am more than capable of doing this but now this tech has shaken me up a bit.....he said I need a tech to stand right next to me and to watch me install this.....is it true what he said??? I need some advice..........

34. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

:-D Seems like Dell was trying to upsell you! Be carefull, don't use to much force, and follow the directions. Heatsinks are not very hard to install, but, you can kill a CPU or a MOBO if you mess up.

Just follow the instructions, if you need assistance, post here with pictures, and I am sure someone will guide you with the installation.

You will need to clean off the old thermal goop off the CPU before you install the new one!

Seriously, it is not that big of a deal, as long as you use some care. :-D

35. wassimk

Ok Kathy, actually Delll had a point about the whole dont do it the wrong way....which was professional from their side so they wouldnt be held liable for any damage...(lawsuits and all that)
    Anyway, the main point is .,...you see that grey patch thing in the back of the heatsink(where the heatsink meets with the cpu?) just imagine it as a puzzle thing, where you have to simply while putting it , to make sure the grey patch is on the cpu...(size wise..it shouldnt be a problem for you...)
    there are specific curves on where you can put the heatsink , where you can easily follow to put it in the right direction... so seriously...its almost as easy as when you removed it...but installation is phsychologically more hard...thats all...
    Please let me know if you need more help :)
    good luck

36. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

OK - the gunk is on the microprocessor right? I did not know to clean it off....thanks for that. The microprocessor has a ton on pins and it fits cleanly on the motherboard. I am unable to post pictures as I am on my husbands computer and he does not have that capability as this is his trading computer.......:cry ok - I will perservere......thank you!!

37. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

The patch is about 1/2" x 1/2" on the heatsink. So, when I clean the gunk off the microsprocessor then is there a specific spot that I have to make sure that the patch is on it? Also, do I attached the microprocessor to the heatsink out of the bracket? I know that I will be ok.....he just shook me up...I will check back later......(kick my hubby off for a few minutes ) :-D

Thanks a bunch!!!! Kat

38. wassimk

ok when they told u to clean up the CPU, they meant from the metal side, not the pins side...try to stay away from the pins side as much as you can....its a dangerous zone to mess with.
    basically howit happens:
    -u put the cpu back, step away from it, take a deep breath...
    - u put the heatsinkon it, making sure that its well centered (then the pactch should be on cpu...their a perfect match of size)
    - put the fan on heatsink (if not already attached)
    - plug the fan (VERY IMPORTANT)

then basically ur all set to go...

39. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

On the cpu side there is centered a patch with a small square metal piece that is attached. I am assuming that this is what centers on the heatsink. The patch on the heatsink is flat and is not sticky or tacky in any way...is this normal? I will wait to hear back before I do anything Wass......

40. wassimk

thegrey patch on the heatsink could:
    - be not sticky just bcz of the quality (so no dirt would get stuckon it
    - OR just have a small protective nylon thingon itthat has to be removed.....

can u check without removing the grey patch?

41. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Most new heatsinks come with a protective piece of clear plastic on them. That has to be removed before installation. You should have the CPU installed on the mobo before installing the heatsinc.

Here is a link to installing a Socket A heatsink. You may have a different type, so check the instructions that came with the heatsink, or post your questions here. http://compreviews.about.com/od/tutorials/ss/DIYCPU.htm

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  42. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle MajorGeek

Fred is right Dell was just desperately trying to upgrade the sale. Coarsely the market is so competitive that they have to sell their (very average) systems with very tight profit margins and they want to be like the car industry (if you don't get a dealers service you void your warranty) and this is where they actually make up their profit (highly inflate the prices for labour and hardware). The guy from Dell was speaking double talk to you (aka as crap!).

It seems you have bought a replacement HS with pre-applied Thermal Interface Material (TIM). It will have a protective sheet (plastic etc) to protect it from the environment (dust, water, grease, etc). Before you replace the old HS you will need to clean up the top of the CPU, i.e. the Integrated Heat Sink (IHS) and then remove the protective film from your new HS and place that onto the CPU, try and give it a little 1/4 turn each way as this will help to optimise surface contact of the TIM and remove air voids and then clip it on. Here is a rough guide with heaps of pics but you can avoid the majority but at least see the best way to clean the CPU IHS before you add the new HS, IMPORTANTLY you do not have to remove the CPU from the socket to clean it you are only trying to remove the old TIM from the top:

http://www.planetamd64.com/index.php?showtopic=9728

The purpose is to just give you a good idea of what to do.

So the HDD wasn't moaning after all? Would it be fair to say it wasn't female?!? Joke and in rather poor taste.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  43. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Hi Fred - the heatsink came with a dark beige colored 1/2 x 1/2" little square centered on the bottom of the heatsink. There is no plastic covering to it at all. Also, on the microprocessor there is a dab of thermal gum (for lack of a better word) on it and on top of that is a small flat metal piece. Is this something that stays? or goes? also, is the little square on the heatsink heat activated? it also came with no directions.....I am totally relying on this forum to help......I am unable to take a pic and upload it as this is my husbands computer and it does not have that capability.....I will wait to hear back.....

44. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

I got to thank you for making me laugh:-D I have been on my other computer since 6:30 this morning trying to figure that one out......:( See my post to Fred.......I will check back in a bit.....Kat

45. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

Is this a used or new heatsink? You need to clean the old goop off the CPU. I use a soft cloth to get most of it off, and rubbing alchohol and Q-Tips to get the rest off. Use care when doing this! (note, that is how I clean my CPUs, opinions on this will most likely vary, use whatever method you think is the best.)

Back to the heatsink. You say it has a beige spot in the center. Could it be copper? Can you list the brand and model number of the motherboard and the heatsink you got? The metal piece inbetween the CPU and heatsink is called a shim, I have never used one, so can't advise on that.

46. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

The heatsink is new. It is for a Dell L866r and the part# is 2E175. the beige spot is kindof tacky but not real tacky....feels like skin and is really flat....and there is no plastic protective cover to it.....
    so does the shim stay on??

47. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Can you list the brand and model number of the motherboard

Fred - can u tell me where I can find the model number of the mother board? I see a long strip with numbers on it that is next to the memory sticks....is that it? Thanks, Kat

48. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The beige stuff is most likely thermal goop. Hard to say for sure without a picture...;) And yes, the model number of the board should be some numbers and letters, usually near the RAM.

49. duckfeet

duckfeet Corporal

I see the "moaning hard drive" thread lives on Now when my hard starts "moaning" I say "oh quit it" ...:-D

and I know I posted this earlier, but I had to do the same thing, for the first time, and I just had to be careful when putting the heatsink/fan back on not to scratch the motherboard, just sort of "aim it in" rather than "feel it in" like I tend to do, and the 4 clips on the heatsink--usually--have to be in the right position to clip right in...

And mine too--a thermaltake heatsink/fan--comes w/grey "goop"--and both my thermaltake heatsinks ran cooler if I cleaned off all the goop, both *new* goop on the fan, and old goop on the back of cpu, and then bought my own thermal paste, and put a thin coating on the heatsink prior to installation...

We had kind of an intereting thread about this, somewhere else, and I guess I'm one of those guys who doesn't totally trust the manufacturers, and wonder if their goop is "good enough..."

Anyway, best wishes: this still gets the prize for "best mg title," inmo...;)

50. KathyM

KathyM Master Sergeant

Ok Fred - here is the number that is right by the RAM....

000-7157X-12461-11A-00ES

I know I am repeating but do I take that slim piece of metal off the CPU? Thanks, Kat

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds